MG in new hens

Tamaralyn

Hatching
Sep 21, 2020
Hello. I recently purchased 2 new adult hens from a local farm. One is a silkie and one a frizzle. I have been quarantining them prior to adding to my flock. I notice the the frizzle has runny eyes. The fluid is sticky and dries yellow and crusty. One eye has those little air bubbles so I’m thinking she has MG. Treating with anitibiotic in the water. However, from what I read, even once symptoms resolve, she and the hen in wth her will always be carriers. Is there any way they can still eventually be added to my flock safely?

Absolutely not! DO NOT add those 2 sick birds to your flock. Cull them and bury them deep and as far away as possible from your flock. Do it now! Ensure you change your clothes and shoes and practice personal hygiene after handling the sick birds because the disease can be carried on your person and will spread into your existing flock.

Blood can be drawn to test for MG. You can contact your local extension office or state agriculture department and find out more information including cost.

Back
Top Bottom