1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    Not a member yet? join BYC here & then introduce yourself in our community forum here.

MG in pullet??? Please help!!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Ragna, Jun 22, 2018.

1. Ragna

Ragna Songster

May 15, 2018
    Orlando
    I'm afraid my little girl has MG does anyone know of any treatments? I don't really have the money for a vet visit... But I need to go hard to help her get better. She's still eating and drinking. I treated her with some tylosin for three days small doses .25... That stopped her runny nose but I've noticed she tiled her head up a few times which I assumed to breathe. She never does that but she was on my chest/in my arms not sure if that had anything to do with it. She seems a little low on energy compared to the other one but they are both still pretty active... A few times I noticed she stumbled a little when I put her down not sure if I put her down to fast or if the bigger hen hurt her by kicking her around. She hasn't been stumbling the past couple of days. The most notable sign of illness is when I picked her up the other day and she started drooling an odd amount. More liquid she could keep in her beak. She's exploring my house right now and there aren't very many 100% clear signs of illness she's doing a very good job at seeming okay. But mainly her lack of energy whenever I see her and small hints of illness here and there is why I am worried. I have the ability to put her on oxygen. I have more tylosin. I've also been feeding her vitamins with electrolytes

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Free Ranging Premium Member 7 Years

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    You may treat MG symptoms for 5 days with Tylan (tylosin.) Dosage is 0.2 ml per pound given 2-3 times a day for 3-5 days. I would give 0.3 ml per pound if I could only give it twice a day. It may be given orally or by intramuscular injection. Encourage her to drink fluids. Probiotics may help gut bacteria to help prevent diarrhea while on antibiotics.

Wyorp Rock likes this.
  3. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Free Ranging Premium Member 7 Years

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
  4. KikisGirls

KikisGirls Read more Premium Member Project Manager

Jul 31, 2015
    Houston, TX
    My Coop
    Any facial swelling?
    How does her crop feel?

5. Ragna

Ragna Songster

May 15, 2018
    Orlando
    If I'm feeling it correctly lol squishy kinda like playdough

KikisGirls likes this.
  6. Nats Chickens

Nats Chickens Crowing

Jun 20, 2018
    NSW, Australia
    My Coop
    Is she being bullied by the other hens? Is it contagious? you should separate her if it is. (Sorry, don't know much about MG. LOL) I hope she gets better. :hugs:fl

KikisGirls likes this.
  7. KikisGirls

Jul 31, 2015
    Houston, TX
    My Coop
    MG is high contagious but there is no point in seperating her now. The others have already been exposed and seperating her could cause more stress which can make things worse.

nminusyplusm likes this.
  8. KikisGirls

Jul 31, 2015
    Houston, TX
    My Coop
    It's not hard and full...I was wondering about impaction because of your mention of stuff coming out of her mouth.

Is she eating and drinking on her own? How are you giving the tylosin now...orally or shot?

9. Nats Chickens

Nats Chickens Crowing

Jun 20, 2018
    NSW, Australia
    My Coop
    Poor girls...:(

KikisGirls likes this.
  10. Ragna

Ragna Songster

May 15, 2018
    Orlando
    Shot to her muscle. I had stopped giving it to her about a week ago only because I didn't feel comfortable reusing the needles and my mom said she had some for me.... But I never got them so I stopped at day 3. Yup she's eating all by herself. She sleeps a lot but I see her get up to go find where I put the water and food... She's so cute when she's looking for it

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: