MG treated with Tylan---very concered about swollen eye

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by shanopaint, Sep 24, 2016.

1. shanopaint

shanopaint Just Hatched

Sep 21, 2016
    San Antonio, TX
    Here again. Helping my full grown hen as best I can. I was told she's an Americuna but I'm not sure. I've already posted several times over the past week. I've got her on Tylan 50 injectable. This is day 2. She seems fine EXCEPT for her poor swollen, swollen, face/eye. It's not getting any better. I've tried squeezing it and forcing it open to see whats going on to no avail and that may have actually made it worse. It's beginning to bleed from the skin being stretched so tight and her scratching at it occasionally. She is a little lethargic, she knows she's sick but she's eating, drinking, ad pooping great (after a little buttermilk). I've tried coconut oil, hemorrhoid cream, and neosporin on the eye with no effect. I'm considering baby aspirin for the swelling? She may just die but I don't want to cull her because other than this eye, she seems fine and her normal self. Still grooming and pecking about a little. I will post pic. Any suggestions are welcome. Vet is out of the question. We have a baby on the way and finances are a little tight. Either she makes it or she doesn't. I just want her to be as comfortable as possible. Thanks.

2. shanopaint

shanopaint Just Hatched

Sep 21, 2016
    San Antonio, TX
    [​IMG]

3. shanopaint

shanopaint Just Hatched

Sep 21, 2016
    San Antonio, TX
    [​IMG]

4. Wyorp Rock

Wyorp Rock Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    Even though you are treating with antibiotics, the eye and facial swelling will not go down until you get the pus out of the eye/sinus cavity.

Apply some warm compresses and see if you can work the eye open. Chicken pus is a semi-hard cheese like substance. It's not like "liquid pus" in humans.

When you get it out flush well with Sterile Saline and apply some Vetericyn Eye Gel or Terramycin Eye Ointment to the eye.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/1071718/nasty-eye-infection-pics
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/1081042/sinus-surgery-video

1 person likes this.
  5. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member Project Manager

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop

X 2... Gotta get the pus out.

-Kathy

6. shanopaint

shanopaint Just Hatched

Sep 21, 2016
    San Antonio, TX
    I cannot get to a vet (as stated above in post). Thank you for advice but i need specific instructions on how to get the goo out. I have wrapped her in a towel and done warm compresses the eye does not open. Do i pry it open with a tool? How do i hold her head?

7. shanopaint

shanopaint Just Hatched

Sep 21, 2016
    San Antonio, TX
    okay thank you so much.. doing alot of this from my phone hard for my to click links and what not. finally got links to work. we'll see what happens

8. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member Project Manager

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    Good luck!

-Kathy

9. casportpony

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    Oh, and since you are pregnant, might be a good idea to wear gloves, maybe even a mask?

-Kathy

10. shanopaint

shanopaint Just Hatched

Sep 21, 2016
    San Antonio, TX
    kathy where do i cut? i made a small incision toward the back of the head, behind the eye....not very deep or big. nothing came but blood oh it hurt her! the etire area is hard. hard firm huge mass. im just not sure where to start

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by