87nuggets

In the Brooder
Aug 2, 2020
I just went out to check on my girls and one of them has her right eye shut and her left eye had a pile of little bubbles... Not really foam, but clear bubbles in the front corner of her left eye. A few minutes later they weren't there, so maybe she blinked them away. I heard a breathing sound almost like one chicken was congested, but I'm not sure who it was since they were all on the roost. I'm thinking it was her since she's got the eye symptoms. She does not have a runny nose (beak?) though.I think she's about 5-6 months old and I've noticed that when she's standing in the run during the day, sometimes she'll look like she's starting to doze off while standing. I've had her for about two months and I'm not sure how long she's been doing that, I just thought she was different since she wasn't showing other symptoms. Any suggestions would be great. Thanks!

sloanbychoice

Songster
Dec 29, 2019
Wichita, Kansas
Personally, I’d use some VetRx to relieve symptoms and keep an eye on them all closely.
It may be MG, or a host of other illnesses they can get.
I recently had two birds that acted sick, had swollen eyes, and some discharge.
I’m closing my flock in case it is MG or MS.
But for mine, the VetRx helped a lot!

Eggcessive

Enabler
Premium Feather Member
Apr 3, 2011
southern Ohio
Those symptoms including the lethargy can be MG. Try to get her drinking some fluids. You can try to get testing for her, either through a state vet or a lab called Vetdna in Texas that will do send you swabs to collect and send in for 8 different respiratory diseases. Or you could try to get an antibiotic to treat MG, such as tylosin for pigeons, doxycycline, oxytetracycline, or the banned for poultry enrofloxacin (Baytril.) Here is a good link about MG:
https://extension.umd.edu/sites/ext... Mycoplasma gallisepticum (MG) Infecti....pdf

Top Bottom