MHP (Mama Heating Pad) Question

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by haunani, Feb 25, 2017.

1. haunani

haunani Out Of The Brooder

Feb 20, 2017
    near Rockford, IL
    I'm trying to decide if I need the larger heating pad or if the smaller one will work for me. I'm only going to have 7 chicks for it. Will the 12x15 pad be big enough for them or should I go for the big boy 12x24? It'll be in a wire dog crate with a 48x30 bottom.

2. junebuggena

junebuggena Chicken Obsessed

Apr 17, 2015
    Long Beach, WA
    The smaller pad will be fine for that many chicks. I've brooded 12 under the smaller sized pad a few times without issues. The crate may start to get a bit cramped by the time they are four weeks old.

1 person likes this.
  3. Blooie

Blooie Team Spina Bifida Premium Member

Feb 25, 2014
    Northwestern Wyoming
    My Coop
    x2.....the smaller one will be just fine! By the time they are so big they don't fit, they don't need it anymore anyway. Good luck!

4. haunani

haunani Out Of The Brooder

Feb 20, 2017
    near Rockford, IL
    Thank you!

I can expand it with a second, slightly smaller crate if they aren't ready to head outside yet, but I think by the time they need the space, they can just go out.

5. DourS

DourS Just Hatched

Jan 31, 2017
    I don't mean to butt into the middle of this thread but can someone get me a link to the mama's heating pad everyone is referring to?
    I've googled with no luck.

thanks

6. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
  7. azygous

azygous Chicken Obsessed

Dec 11, 2009
    Colorado Rockies
    If you haven't bought your heating pad yet, think ahead to the future. Once you brood chicks under the MHP system, I promise you will never go back to a heat lamp. If you anticipate adding to your flock in the future with perhaps double the number of chicks as this first time, I would go ahead and get the large pad so you will be set for future chicken math attacks.

1 person likes this.
  8. DourS

DourS Just Hatched

Jan 31, 2017
    so the mamas heating pad is just a regular heating pad with the cover built over it? Can someone recommend a good heating pad?
    I think some of the automatically shut off after 2 hours.

9. junebuggena

junebuggena Chicken Obsessed

Apr 17, 2015
    Long Beach, WA
    Most using heating pads use Sunbeam pads, but any pad without an auto shutoff will work. You do need an adjustable frame to keep the pad up so the chicks can snuggle under. I like to use a piece of of scrap welded wire fencing.

10. 46hillbilly

46hillbilly Out Of The Brooder

Mar 30, 2012
    I wonder if a foil top cover or a aluminum cookie sheet would reflect heat downward from the top of the pad? too hot on the pad that way? Questions keep growing, lol.
    How about a pvc rack to hold up a supported Flat Panel heater so it could be raised or lowered for comfort levels as chicks get bigger?? I use a pvc rack that is 16" W x 32" L that supports the heat lamp now. Will need to get a much larger chick home all too soon. The Flat heater would be good for one end and the other non-heated of about 26"W x 48" L is envisioned.
    The 3/4" pvc is 8 ea Street Ells, 4ea T's, 2 ea of 16"l bottom legs across the counter top, the top area is 4 pieces of 3/4" pvc wide dimension with 3 32" cross supports for the heat lamp to suspend from it with a sash chain support for lamp height and side to side movement. See it as a wide U with the legs in 4 pieces with a T in the middle at each end. 2 90 degree Ells on the ends at both sides with the front one piece of 32" and the middle likewise, open to the rear with the ells pointing down to the next cross support; 4 pieces of 16" x 3/4" pvc w/ 2 T's for a cross support for strength. 2 Ells at the bottom pointed to the front to put the Bottom legs into.
    It is all just shoved together to take apart later; the vertical top 16" support posts can be changed to longer pieces as need for higher bulb / flat panel heater placement can be easily done with a small hammer or mallet to dislodge the upper supports (vertical). Picture on request; my camera sometimes is a major pain. I took 6 pics and these 2 are all that made it to the pc's memory.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 2, 2017

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by