MIA campine returns! now what?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by vtsarahb, Jul 25, 2010.

1. vtsarahb

vtsarahb Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 16, 2009
    Bradford, VT
    I have 10 hens that free range. When it starts to get dark in the evening, they all come back to the coop and I shut them in for the night. Last sunday my little golden campine, Charlotte, didn't come home. I looked and looked, but couldn't find her. No sign of her the next day, so I figured she was a goner.

Yesterday (6 DAYS LATER!) she showed up in the yard again! So I promptly let her in the coop and checked her over. She looks fine, and is eating like a pig. However, her voice sounds different- she has that "broody cluck" which makes me think she's made a nest in the woods somewhere and has been sitting on it for the past week. (She had been laying eggs in my daylilies before she ran off, but I found them and she stopped laying there) I think she came back because she was hungry.

So now I'm worried that if I let her back out, she'll just run off again for another week (and this time get eaten by something- I'm amazed she lasted a week out there already!) My plan now, is to keep her inside until I'm sure she isn't broody... then let her out again and keep a close eye on her- see where she goes.

What do you all think? Anything like this ever happen to any of you? Any advice would be much appreciated. [​IMG]

2. Mrs. K

Mrs. K Overrun With Chickens

Nov 12, 2009
    western South Dakota
    Well, I think I would take a glass of ice tea out there, and let her out, and just see where she goes. You probably will find a nest, and it is always good to know their favorite places other than the nest box. And if the eggs are fertilized, why not scoop everything up and put in a dog crate, and see if you can't get a little production?

Mrs/K

3. Preservation Acres

Preservation Acres Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 31, 2008
    Murfreesboro, TN
    Mrs. K :

Well, I think I would take a glass of ice tea out there, and let her out, and just see where she goes. You probably will find a nest, and it is always good to know their favorite places other than the nest box. And if the eggs are fertilized, why not scoop everything up and put in a dog crate, and see if you can't get a little production?

Mrs/K

Good suggestion. I'd let her go and follow her.​

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by