Mice and Rats

Hardy Hen

In the Brooder
11 Years
Apr 2, 2008
I'm wondering can mice and rats make chickens sick? I have a whole family of mice living in my chicken coop with my girls. One of my chickens died last night even though she was completely fine yesterday. I'm wondering if the mice or rats could have made her sick all of a sudden. What do I do?

Hardy Hen

I'm not sure if they can make a chicken die, but they might give them fleas, lice, mites, etc. You may want to get rid of them.

Oh, and welcome to BYC! You'll love it here!

I am not sure about making them sick, but they have no place in my pens, and they can get to your chicks! As Metallica would say....Kill 'em All!

I saw one of my chickens EAT a mouse a couple months ago. She just swallowed it whole! GROSS!!!! She has been fine though. Our cat is finding all our mice these days, so hopefully we dont she will take care of them all~

There are so many human and animal diseases associated with rodents that I don;t care to have them in my barn. We support a feral cat colony as described on my link below under 'Rodent Control'. Alo check specifics under the homepage describing the coop porch and run...

Back
Top Bottom