Mice Catchers

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Jay-Mar28, Jul 17, 2011.

1. Jay-Mar28

Jay-Mar28 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 24, 2011
    Ontario Canada
    Ive read on a few sites that muscovies are great at catching mice. Has anyone on here ever witnessed this occuring? And which other ducks/ geese are great mouse catchers?

2. mrpekinduck

mrpekinduck Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 29, 2011
    Ducky Land!
    i have two female pekins and we have found dead mice in their coop they love killing mice. Ducks are good mouseres because mice dont try to run away they just sit there and then with on sharp peck the ducks crush it internally. it's gross but they're helpful [​IMG]

3. LemonDoodles

LemonDoodles Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 6, 2011
    Huntsville, AL
    My Pekin's catch salamanders...

4. iamcuriositycat

iamcuriositycat Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2009
    Charlotte, NC
    I learned recently that in homestead times, settlers would grow pennyroyal and spread it on the floor in the kitchen and feed areas to keep away mice. The lady I spoke with is a professional re-enacter who maintains a historical site by actually living there part-time, and she swears by this. I haven't tried it yet, but I'm planning to grow some next year to try out on my feed room floor.

5. Ahab

Ahab Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 28, 2010
    Maine
    Pennyroyal keeps out fleas, anyway. I once lived in a city apartment built in the old attic/servants quarters, with wide gaps between the old pine floorboards. These quickly filled with cat hair, and then fleas. The only thing that solved the problem (we tried various bug bombs from the hardware store) was strewing the floorboards with pennyroyal. Got the idea out of, if I remember correctly, an 18th-century book on housekeeping, which said pennyroyal was "proof against flease, rodents, and other pestes."

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by