Mice eating chickens ! And I eat their eggs ?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Chicken Woman, Apr 11, 2009.

1. Chicken Woman

Chicken Woman Incredible Egg

Oct 16, 2008
    Montana
    I was raking the coop a bit and all the girls were outside in the run. As I raked a corner by the door 3 mice jump and ran out the door. The girls went crazy ! They caught all 3 of them and they were running around chasing one another trying to get the mice ! [​IMG]

Of course I wasn't going to get them away from them so I didn't even try ! [​IMG]

I was soooo grossed out ! [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Does anyone elses chickens eat mice ? [​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 11, 2009
  2. Chicky Tocks

Chicky Tocks [IMG]emojione/assets/png/2666.png?v=2.2.7[/IMG] Ru

Oct 20, 2008
    Benton, Arkansas
    Oh yeah! And any other living critter smaller than them that dares to tread their run! Moles, mice...nom nom nom.
    I haven't seen mine actually eat them, but I've found them pecked to bloody pulps in the run before.

3. momofdrew

momofdrew Chillin' With My Peeps

I have read that they will eat mice when given a chance... chickens are omnivorus... they like meat...

4. karen71

karen71 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2008
    Bear, DE
    I keep trying to get mine to go into the shed and eat the mice that are eating their feed [​IMG]

I heard that chickens will eat mice but mine don't seen to want to [​IMG]

They also eat bugs- the way I see it all the protein that they are eating makes some good eating eggs [​IMG]

5. augustmomx2

augustmomx2 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 31, 2008
    Central Indiana
    I was reading a post about this several weeks ago. I was worried about mice getting into the coop & spreading their "mice diseases" & to be quite honest...rodents FREAK me out!

I was so excited to read that the chickens eat them! Although watching them do it would totally gross me out too [​IMG]

Now I have to get some of those chicken diapers...so I can let them run loose in my house...I saw a mouse run across my kitchen...eeekkkk [​IMG]

6. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

Mine think the mice are a tasty treat! Especially baby mice.

7. nzpouter

nzpouter Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 19, 2009
    new zealand
    yep.. good for them, more protein.. tastier eggs.

8. FrenchHen

FrenchHen Chicken Ambassador

Jan 26, 2009
    Bagshot Row
    I think of my chickens as a handy way to dispose of mice I catch in my car (stinking little rodents!) or house. I carry the trap to the run, drop the critter, then watch the chickens play keep away.

9. Chicken Woman

Chicken Woman Incredible Egg

Oct 16, 2008
    Montana
    Well if we should be concerned about them spreading mouse diseases then would't the chickens get it by eating them ? Maybe worms or something !! [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

10. PurpleChicken

PurpleChicken Tolerated.....Mostly

Apr 6, 2007
    Iceland
    Mice carry specific viruses which cannot live in a chicken. A chicken's
    body is very different from a mouse's which is more like ours.

You're fine and your chickens are getting a good source of protein. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by