Mice eating my grain at night!!!

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by darkangels5, Nov 2, 2010.

1. darkangels5

darkangels5 New Egg

Aug 25, 2010
    Kettle Falls, WA
    I have a feeder for my layena and a flock block ( both are hanging from the celing) that I leave out all the time so my chickens always have something to eat. Lately I have been noticing that my feed has been eaten faster than normal and I found that my flock block is being hollowed out durning the night. How can I keep the mice out of my feed? My coop is an old alumanium shed that I converted so it dosent seal up very well. Does anyone have any suggestions on how I can deter them away from the coop all together?

2. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

I remove all feed at night to the garage in a covered pail. The water stays in the run. I have a repeating mousetrap that catches them live, and have been drowning lots of mice.

This is how I deal with the HUGE field next to my house, which has thousands of mice.

All chicks 6 weeks and under have food and water available 24/7 in their coops.

Last edited: Nov 2, 2010
  3. hallerlake

hallerlake Chillin' With My Peeps

May 30, 2010
    Seattle
    Quote:I bring in my feed at night, and store it in a covered container, too. It's not like they do much eating at night.

4. Cloverleaf Farm

Cloverleaf Farm Bearded Birds are Best

Sep 16, 2008
    Levan, UT
    I have a wacky schedule, and I don't think my birds would like to wait until 10 or 11 am to get fed, so I can't bring in my feed at night. I have a mouse problem too, so I'll be watching this thread. I did put brometheline down under the largest coop and in my other shed, it disappeared alright, but it made me too nervous to keep it around all the time. [​IMG]

5. carrlr

carrlr Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2010
    Southern Illinois
    Nasty little creatures. Remove the food and store in a sealed container, or they will get to it. A repeating mousetrap is a must!!!

6. swimmer

swimmer Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 17, 2010
    Utah
    Get a cat from the shelter, have it fixed and let the fun begin!

7. thewobsers

thewobsers Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 20, 2008
    near toledo ohio
    We use a repeating mousetrap too, we went on you tube and made one ourselves. works great and now i wish we new how to deal with sparrows getting into the coop and eating all of the feed. Any suggestions?

8. hallerlake

hallerlake Chillin' With My Peeps

May 30, 2010
    Seattle
    I remember seeing instructions somewhere for building a treadle feeder. The weight of the chicken on the lever dispenses the feed. A mouse would not be heavy enough. Maybe something like that would work. http://www.woodworkingcorner.com/feeder.php

9. poltroon

poltroon Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 28, 2008
    California (North Coast)
    If they're locked in at night, hardware cloth or steel wool in any openings will help. I have the problem during the day, which is much more difficult to solve.

10. poltroon

poltroon Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 28, 2008
    California (North Coast)
    Quote:This looks very useful. There are commercial ones you can buy as well, but they were always more than I cared to spend.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by