Mice in Barn - Electronic rat trap VS mice trap

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by remist17, Nov 15, 2011.

1. remist17

remist17 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2011
    Pennsylvania
    I have a 8x8 chicken house. It has no insulated walls and the plastic/ aluminum wrap on the cieling. I use wood shavings on the ground. I saw one mouse yesterday and figure theres more. I was going to use poison but after reading am thinking twice. I would like to use traps and not sure if the electronic rat trap works. I have always used mice traps/rat traps.

I was thinking to put the traps under my nest box along the wall and tak two 1x6 pine boards and maka upside down L with it. That way the chickens can not set the traps off. The mice can still run down the wall...

Good Idea?

2. Enchanted Sunrise Farms

Enchanted Sunrise Farms Overrun With Chickens

Apr 26, 2007
    Fair Oaks, California
    i have a couple of rat zappers and they don't work with our rats. We must have smart ones. But they work great with mice. We had a small mouse invasion in our shed - i wasn't being careful about putting feed into containers. i set up a rat zapper with peanut butter pushed into the back and caught 7 in quick succession. i sometimes use it in the pens after i put the chickens safely in their coops and have been successful. i would think it would work fine in your coop if you make sure the chickens can't get to it. And . . . if you saw one mouse, you definitely have more.

3. CMV

CMV Flock Mistress

Apr 15, 2009
    I've used them and had pretty good luck with them, but they go through batteries like CRAZY. I couldn't keep mine in batteries after a while. So I went back to the regular snap traps. Sometimes the old standbys are standbys for a reason.

Good luck.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by