mice in the coop

nctoni

Chirping
Apr 5, 2015
Rowan County, North Carolina
So, I have been reading here about getting rid of mice in the coop. I have the traditional mouse traps going and they are working somewhat but only a couple mice a day because I am not there to man them. I think I am going to build one of those buckets with water and a bottle some day soon. So many of y'all say poison, poison. I am ok with that but what do you use? I stopped by our Lowes and they just had those little green things that go into a plastic holder. Is that what you use? I am up for ideas. If I am seeing them, I am sure there is a lot more there. Thanks for your suggestions.

X2 on no poisons, chickens eat mice.
a mouse.jpg

I do not have problems with mice because I have barn cats, but I would not use any poisons. Just in case your chickens come across it or they come across a dead mouse that has ingested the poison and eat the mouse. On two occasions I have seen my hens catch a baby mouse and they gobbled it up like candy.
your avatar is such a sweet looking bird!

I hated to use poison too, but this winter my barn cat, after declining to work the coop, moved to an indoor home. The mice rejoiced, and reproduced like crazy. Bait was the only solution, carefully chosen and monitored. No mice any more!
With an effective barn cat, and some trapping, it's possible to manage. For rats (had them last year!) or bad mouse visitations, bait is the only/ best solution.
Mary

Back
Top Bottom