1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Mice, mice, everywhere theres mice...

Discussion in 'Family Life - Stories, Pictures & Updates' started by sparkles2307, Sep 9, 2009.

1. sparkles2307

sparkles2307 Terd of Hurtles

Yeah so we brooded 2 batches of chicks this summer in our attached garage...and now we have mice in the house... the cats are in the garage all the time so I am sure they are keeping the vermin under control out there, but since I am deathly allergic to cats they cant come in the house. I have regular traps and sticky traps EVERYWHERE and there are just 2 of the buggers left that I cant get rid of, and they are so brazen that one actually came out in the living room while I was having coffee this morning and kinda looked at me before carrying on...and I had nothing to throw at it! ARGH how do I get them!? They magically avoid my traps that have caught all the others...DH doesnt want to use poison because the cats or dog might eat one of the mice after it dies but really do I have many options left!? This is driving me nuts and makes me feel like a dirty person!

2. Chickenmaven

Chickenmaven Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 6, 2009
    Michigan
    I have had great luck with the plug-in electronic gizmos.

3. Hillbilly Rooster

Hillbilly Rooster Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 16, 2009
    Middleville, Michigan
    Have you tried cream peanut butter on your traps this seems to work best.

Someone had a recipe for the rodents awhile back but I never wrote it down I will look to see if I can find it.

4. sparkles2307

Quote:I used peanut butter and the critters were eating it off the traps without setting them off. Cheese caught the most. I am up to HERE with them!

5. shelleyd2008

shelleyd2008 the bird is the word

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    A 'recipe' for the rodents is to take equal parts of peanut butter and plaster of paris, and just enough oil to make it manageable. Mix it together and form into balls. This will kill the mice (and anything else that eats these balls), but will not kill a secondary predator. So if one that has eaten these balls gets out to where your cats are, and the cats eat the mouse, it won't hurt the cats. Only if the cats eat the actual balls will it hurt them.

6. Hillbilly Rooster

Apr 16, 2009
    Middleville, Michigan
    Here is the recipe this will not let them pass gas I guess.

1 cup flour
    1 cup sugar
    1 cup baking soda

Hope this helps.

7. shelleyd2008

shelleyd2008 the bird is the word

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    Quote:How effective is this? Is it toxic to chickens?

8. Hillbilly Rooster

Apr 16, 2009
    Middleville, Michigan
    I have not used it was on another thread that i was on in the past. I would probably keep it away from the chickens for the fact most of the ingriedents are used for baking and as they get warm they rise.

I will find the site again.

9. sparkles2307

thanks for the recipes! I am eager to try them out!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by