Mice, moles, snakes

CHRIS PETERMAN

Hatching
Dec 20, 2020
I am having issues with rodents mice, moles, snakes I have tried mint etc. Anything thats safe for my girls and furbabies. I will not use poisons. Can I use one of those electronic plugs? I have them inside my house have no issues. I do not want to harm my girls though!

Folly's place

Enabler
Premium Feather Member
10 Years
Sep 13, 2011
southern Michigan
Welcome!
You have moles and snakes in your coop? Mice are harder to avoid, and mouse traps do work very well against them. The snap traps need to be set up where your chickens can't get to them, at all. Usually poison isn't needed for mice, they are easy to trap. Rats are a totally different story!
Approximately where do you live, and what snakes are you concerned about?
Mary

cmom

Hilltop Farm
14 Years
Nov 18, 2007
Florida
My Coop
My Coop
:welcome :frow There are safe ways to use poison if you ever decide to go that route but I would try traps first making sure your birds can't get to them either. Good luck...

gunslinger33

Songster
Feb 3, 2018
Chris

depending on what snakes you have there is a trade off. If you have rat snakes or racers , gopher , bull snakes ect ... they should take care of the mice , voles and other rodents. Winter in more difficult as the snakes are hibernating. I gladly will trade an egg or two per week to eliminate my rodent problems. Snakes are harmless to adult chickens but will eat chicks.

I have trapped 13 rats / mice this month.

you can remove any food that is left at the end of everyday to reduce the rodents but they are probably seeking shelter for the winter.

Anime2lover

Crowing
Apr 17, 2019
Neither poison or traps are working to catch our rat. We've had both out for months and not single rat in them.

CluckerFamily

Enabler
5 Years
Feb 14, 2016
Wisconsin
If you use traps you need to use some bait that will entice them to get it. I don't use poison but mouse and rat traps to catch all the rodents. Where are you located? Is it winter/colder where you are?

Anime2lover

Crowing
Apr 17, 2019
Are
If you use traps you need to use some bait that will entice them to get it. I don't use poison but mouse and rat traps to catch all the rodents. Where are you located? Is it winter/colder where you are?
you asking me or op? If your asking me, no bait I've tried has worked. Tried eggs, cheese, chicken feed, bird seed, sausage chunks. I tried them with snap traps and live traps, no luck.

Top Bottom