Mice problem and question about chickens and dead mice

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by dustponds10, Apr 20, 2012.

1. dustponds10

dustponds10 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2010
    Rigby, Id
    Well, I ask because I have some nice birds. I have a bunch of mice that decided I needed to feed them as well. I have a penned in area with the birds and a tack room type of place that I put the food. I get these mice in the pens and I am wanting to put some bait out to kill them. Actually I just did. I was told that it will kill them right away at the bar bait. If it doesnt will a chicken eat a dead mouse? I have had dead mice in pens before that the birds wouldnt touch but will they eat a dead one? Any help is greatly appreicated

2. AlvinsFinest

AlvinsFinest Out Of The Brooder

Feb 16, 2012
    they might eat a mouse but a easy way to avoid this is dont put chicken feed in a coop. you could always plant some mint around the coop and they should stay away.

3. dustponds10

Apr 18, 2010
    Rigby, Id
    I have a unique situation with my birds. I raise fly tie birds and I cant avoid but to feed inside due to housing the roosters in individual pens. my breeding pens are the ones that they are gettin into the most. I quite having feed out during the night but they are still around.

4. Hot2Pot

Hot2Pot Fox Hollow Rabbitry

Feb 1, 2010
    West TN
    Chickens love mice dead or alive, so be careful if you plan to poison them.

5. dustponds10

Apr 18, 2010
    Rigby, Id
    Ok thanks for you information. I didnt think they would touch dead ones but I will take alot of caution

6. dustponds10

Apr 18, 2010
    Rigby, Id
    I did put some poisen in there later on Thursday evening.

7. fishman65

fishman65 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2009
    flat rock
    chickens look at mice as extra protein. I feed them all the ones i catch in my snap traps...there is some safe poison that you can use but it takes a while to build up in the mouse's body..but is safe to use in coops..I have great luck with a small cardboard box with a couple of snap traps in it, just seal it up with tape so chickens can't get into it and cut a few small holes into it for mice to get into, it will take a little longer but it works

8. dustponds10

Apr 18, 2010
    Rigby, Id
    great idea thanks. I am probably going to use this instead of the bar bait. I used a station and It apears that the mice have slowed down some. I dont know if it is just me seeing things or if it is really working that way. Thanks again for the great advice

9. ChickCommander

ChickCommander New Egg

Nov 29, 2012
    Can chickens get sick after eating a mouse or too many mice

10. missnu01

missnu01 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 16, 2012
    Catnip is also a super cheap and easy to grow rodent deterrent...perhaps they smell it and think a cat is about somewhere...just don't disturb the catnip after planting or every cat near you will be there chewing it down..which won't hurt the plant, but no reason to lure a new predator...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by