Mice vs Quail

Discussion in 'Quail' started by Rememberthedeer, Oct 17, 2013.

1. Rememberthedeer

Rememberthedeer Out Of The Brooder

Aug 8, 2013
    I have a single coturnix quail and my dad wants me to move her in the shed for the winter. We have mice in the shed, will they do her any harm?

2. SeptemberQuail

SeptemberQuail Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 10, 2012
    Australia
    I'd suggest getting your lone quail a buddy for winter, because being alone in the garage will be very cold. She will need someone to huddle with (another female or male, doesn't matter) for warmth, or else she could die, depending on temperatures. The more quail, the warmer they'll be.

Mice normally don't harm quail. They're attracted to the quail food and their eggs, but I would try to 'mouse-proof' the cage to prevent a whole hoard of mice poop getting covered all over the quail's cage as mice poop obviously isn't healthy and could be contaminated with all these nasty bacteria's since mice go and eat everywhere and everything.

Try to block holes small enough for mice to get through (if they can fit their head through, then they can fit their body), or even take away the food at night as that's when they're most active. Don't forget to collect eggs daily.

3. Rememberthedeer

Rememberthedeer Out Of The Brooder

Aug 8, 2013
    Thanks everyone. This is her third winter, so I know she's fine on her own, but it's her first winter in the shed. She tends to be a rather aggressive bird. I'm pretty much the only thing she doesn't attack, and that worries me because she might attack mice. I used to have a male bird but she attacked and killed him, so that's why I'm afraid to get another.
    I usually stuff a kleenex box with hay and she snuggles up in there when it's cold, I'd also heat up a small towel everyday and place it in there so she can sit on it to warm her feet, so I'm not worried about the winter. My main concern here is the mice, thank you all for your help, I'll be sure to use everyone's advice on this mouse problem. Thanks again.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by