1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

mice !!!!

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by guys family, Nov 28, 2010.

1. guys family

guys family New Egg

Aug 11, 2010
    hay all,I have a question,today one of my birds caught a mouse,and the all seven bird got in on the action.is it ok for the birds to eat mice,or should i put traps out.Iv never had a proublem with mice before,but it is geting cold in colorado. [​IMG]

2. HAL_9000

HAL_9000 Out Of The Brooder

my chooks catch mice all the time (live in a heavily wooded area with lotsa critters including mice) and they seem to be fine.. some of my chooks are around 6 years old and seem to have no issues.. I think the see mice as a protein treat...

3. lightfoot

lightfoot Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 19, 2010
    NW minnesota
    mice are good for chicks. xcellent protein.[​IMG]

4. guys family

guys family New Egg

Aug 11, 2010
    thanks for the feed back:lol:

5. BeccaB00

BeccaB00 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 16, 2010
    Kansas
    Well, mice aint gonna hurt them [​IMG] My cat caught and killed one the other day, and when we let one of our hens out..she found it..and eat it ALL. Chickens have been known to eat snakes, lizzurds, and anything that is small and moves really. [​IMG]

6. happyhappy

happyhappy Chillin' With My Peeps

May 24, 2010
    Napa, CA
    My DH killed a mouse in the compost bin yesterday and as he's yelling for me I see one of my BR with it in her mouth running with my BO close behind. What a sight. I had him take it away since it would have started a fight between the rest of them and I was thinking diseases. It's just gross funny at the time but gross!

[​IMG] [​IMG]

7. Bellasmom

Bellasmom Out Of The Brooder

Apr 9, 2009
    Mine love to play rat rugby or swallow the mouse, spit it back up and chop it into pieces when they can find one to play with.

8. digitS'

digitS' Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 12, 2007
    ID/WA border
    A problem with mice occurs when the chickens cannot get at them - after dark.

Even if you put your feed somewhere the mice can't get at it at night, they are likely to find plenty of spilled feed to support an extended family of the vermin. I have found a hen on one side of the coop door with a mouse on the other side. The hen was waiting to catch the mouse. The mouse was waiting for the light to go off so it could move in and the hen couldn't see it.

I set cheap old-fashioned Victor mouse traps, baited with raisins and peanut butter, in a cage inside the coop. The cage keeps the chickens away from the traps but the mice can climb thru the wire. They probably see it as kind of a safe haven with a free buffet over in a corner of the coop.

Steve

Snap!!!

Last edited: Nov 30, 2010
  9. OkChickens

OkChickens Orpingtons Are Us

Dec 1, 2010
    Owasso, Oklahoma
    digitS' :

I set cheap old-fashioned Victor mouse traps, baited with raisins and peanut butter, in a cage inside the coop. The cage keeps the chickens away from the traps but the mice can climb thru the wire. They probably see it as kind of a safe haven with a free buffet over in a corner of the coop.

Steve

Snap!!!

This is the "Safe" way that i get rid of these pests also.​

10. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    I had an old hen who used to "tenderize" her mice. She'd grip it in her beak and thwack it against something, flip it around in her beak and thwack it again..........over and over, then gulp down the hatch! Mouse always seemed already dead when she started this, not like she was trying to kill or subdue it.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by