mice.

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by bucky52, Oct 16, 2012.

1. bucky52

bucky52 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2011
    every time i open the coop i see mice.i can smell the little suckers..i have tried sticky traps.i did the shoebox trap.with snaptraps placed inside.i put poison bait out months ago in pvc pipes.behind the coops.i'am seeing holes inside the run.i'am at my wits end.i'am worried about the health of my flock.any suggestions would greatly be appreciated.
    thanks
    sharon.

2. HEChicken

HEChicken Overrun With Chickens

Aug 12, 2009
    BuCo, KS
    My Coop
    Mice are the scourge of poultry keeping - no doubt about it. A friend of mine recently bought some Victor traps, that trap up to 30 mice live. She baited them with a mix of peanut butter and oatmeal and caught several hundred in the first couple of weeks she had them out, so they seem pretty effective. I think she paid about $10 apiece for them. If you search on Amazon for Victor Mouse trap, you should be able to find them.

Another option is to get some Buckeye chickens - they are reputed to be great mouse catchers.

I would avoid poison. Even if you have put it where the chickens can't get to it, if a mouse is poisoned and dies, and the chickens eat it, it will make them sick.

3. bucky52

bucky52 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2011
    thank you i will see if i can find them on amazon.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by