1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Mice

Discussion in 'Quail' started by Rememberthedeer, Oct 17, 2013.

1. Rememberthedeer

Rememberthedeer Out Of The Brooder

Aug 8, 2013
    Will mice harm my coturnix quail? Her cage is in the shed for the winter and we have lots of mice in there. Is that a dangerous place for her or will the mice leave her alone?

2. James the Bald

James the Bald Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 6, 2013
    I read your previous post and didn't have time to respond. I honestly do no know if the mice will harm your quail, but mice do transmit diseases, and with a food source so readily available, the mice will not only eat the food, but they will deficate in it as well, and contaminate the food and possibly get your quail sick.

The only advice I can say is to set some traps and do your best to eradicate the mice. I hope your father changes his mind about putting them in the shed.

If there are any other members that can respond, please do.

I hope my answer is of assistance,
    James

1 person likes this.
  3. Rememberthedeer

Aug 8, 2013
    Thanks, that was helpful, I know we have some traps so I'll try to dig them out. My dad does have rat poison in the shed, my quail can't get to it but can the mice pass that to her? I give her fresh feed every day because she makes messes in it and stuff. If the mice have affect on her feed I can change it more often if it'll help.

4. marksouth

marksouth Out Of The Brooder

Jul 11, 2013
    I keep my feed in a metal container because we have alot of field mice around the property. Remember to store your feed well because the mice will sure find that bag. I don't think the mice will attack the birds unless they are really big rats. I don't think the birds would eat the droppings, they don't seem to eat their own that always seem to find their way into their feed. I was given a cage by a guy that at one time had designer rats in it. I asked the old time breeder that I get eggs from about using the cage before I brought it home and she said rats and foul have seperate diseases.

I've used the cage for awile now with no ill effects on the birds, but only after I took it to a car wash and power washed it. Thats all I know is what she told me.

5. Rememberthedeer

Aug 8, 2013
    I actually just picked up a small rabbit cage from my local feed store, I know that mice can easily get in, we don't have any rats so I'm not worried about them. If the mice were a problem I was considering moving the bird into the 20gal fish tank. She wouldn't have as much space, and it'll be harder to clean, (plus I'll have to clean it more often) but it might be more safe for her.

6. Quailsong

Quailsong Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 20, 2013
    You can't put her in the basement?

How big are these mice? Are they house mice or field mice? You could try to put wire mesh screening over the cage so they can't slip in. If they're large mice, you could make a cage out of 1/2" wire mesh, but it'd only discourage the adults.

Either way, def put a wooden board or heavy plastic on top so the mice can't poop right into the cage (food/water/etc).

And uh, I'd work on that mouse issue. Mice can spread diseases not only to pets, but humans as well. Hope this link doesn't scare you too much..

7. Rememberthedeer

Aug 8, 2013
    Thanks, I do have plastic over the top of the cage, and we have rat poison in the shed somewhere, I still have yet to set the traps but I'll do that when I feed the bird today.
    They are just house mice, the dog has killed a few in the past and they're not that big. I found several dead ones when I cleaned out the shed a few days ago, so I know they're dying out.
    No, I can't put her in the basement, my mom doesn't like animals in the house, she doesn't even allow the dog inside. I used to keep her in the garage for the winter, but for some reason my dad doesn't want her in there this year, and he told me to move her in the shed instead.

8. Rememberthedeer

Aug 8, 2013
    The bird, not my mom. Haha

9. beakmaster

beakmaster Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 3, 2013
    Panama City, Florida
    Not to be dramatic but you could definitely get sick and maybe die if you come into contact with rodent poo. There are over 35 different diseases easily spread to human through mice. If you have them in the shed chances are they are in your home too. This time of year when its getting cooler is the time when they will start moving in your home. Put some of those traps in your home and seal any openings around your foundation. They can get in small holes so be vigilant. Steel wool is a good thing to use cause they can't chew through it. I have killed dozens of them in my kitchen in past homes. Most stores have those sticky traps that work great..... you could set up a funnel to force them to walk through the sticky trap. Use a variety of different traps as 1 they learn and 2 they may avoid baited traps if there is other food to access. Good hunting.

10. Quailsong

Quailsong Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 20, 2013
    Haha, cute.

I wouldn't use rat poison. If your dog likes to hunt them, that could make him sick. Your quail could get very sick as well if the mouse droppings could possibly fall in. Quail are kinda...curious about anything in the cage & might eat the poop. Esp if you've ever had her on grass or fed her BOSS (Black Oiled Sunflower Seeds) at all, since they will look similar.

Another thing to consider is that your quail may try to attack the mice, which may very well bite back. Or even, the quail doesn't care about the mice & one could bite her feet out of curiosity/fear.

As beakmaster says, steel wool works. So does Great Stuff foam. If they eat it they die, but can be used to seal any holes in the shed. Mice tend to follow walls, so any traps should be against the walls rather than out in the open where a mouse won't go. Peanut butter, cheese, & marshmallow are a few good bait choices.

And yeah, if they're in the shed, they may be elsewhere..def check out your basement or back porch/sunroom area for any droppings.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by