Mice

Suess hens

Songster
11 Years
May 4, 2008
Altadena, CA
I have noticed that I have mice that live in the wood pile near the coop. Every so often they will run into the run, but I don't know what they are there for. They can't get to my nesting boxes, and everything is up off the ground. I know mice jump, so they might be able to get into the feeder.
What can I do short of completely tearing apart the wood pile?

Set a bunch of traps and poision when the chickens cant get to it. I had a problem with rats in my woodpile. So I set traps and poision, and got 10. 7 young ones, and 3 adults. Mice arent as nasty as rats though. I lost 2 batches of chicks from a rat.

You could also try those repeating traps, i wouldnt recommend poision, may get a mouse eat it and not die until it gets in your pen or run and then well you know how chickens are they may eat it..Then you will have a dead or very sick chicken on hand possibly...

Charlie

Is there a reason that my chickens ignore it? It is almost like they say hi in passing. My biggest concern is that if I shift the pile they will just find a new place, like under the coop or in the concrete block footings. I guess I will have to set traps, but I hate having to deal with those...so icky. And I have an 18 month old so poison is out of the question. And they are in fact mice, they haven't grown and are still about 1.5 inches long. Little little mice.

Hi I ques mice are not so bad as your chickens dont mind them, but it is there poo which is bad..

They will get into feed and poo in it and there droppings can make your chickens sick by eating it and it carries bactria which can kill poultry also..cant remember what it is, but im sure someone else can point that out what it is in there poo..

I know our wild eastern turkeys stomp the mice to death as i seen them do that many times and moles as well

if they can get at the food which im sure they can, as they can get anywhere pretty much, by climbing or jumping to get there.

Charlie

Last edited:
We have mice that get into our garage, barn and tack room. I don't like the idea of using poisons. It seems inhumane to me. Nor do I like the old-fashioned mousetrap; too much blood, etc.

I've used "The Better Mousetrap" by Intruder Inc. for years. No blood, no poison, and it's easy to empty. I've even used the larger model, Rodentrap, for bigger visitors.

12178_mouse_trap.jpg

http://www.intruderinc.com/mousetrap/mousetrap.html

If I catch something, I toss it down the hill below the barn. You don't have to touch the mouse as the trap snaps open like a clothespin. Over the years the crows have gotten used to coming by to see if there's been a snack put out for them.

Michele.

What, you have chickens but no cats! We support over 25 ferals which can't get to the birds, ever, and we don't have a single rodent on our 5 acres (for more than 5 seconds)...
lol.png

And if the mice are already nesting before winter in the wood pile they'll be indoors before long.

I keep black snakes around the property including access to the buildings; they provide good protection and keep the mice population down. I would never poison any creature here- I have chickens, dogs, etc. and i refuse to take the chance of somebody eating a dead mouse that was poisoned and becoming poisoned themselves.

Back
Top Bottom