Michiana transplant in El Paso, Texas.

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Eris, Aug 15, 2011.

1. Eris

Eris Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 15, 2011
    El Paso, Texas
    Hello! [​IMG]

(1) Are you new to chickens / when did you first get chickens?
    I'm extremely new to chickens, I've actually only seen them twice in person for only a minute or two each time. I've never raised them and never thought I would ever raise them. My family recently placed an order at McMurrays for 29 chicks. We will receive them sometime next week I hope.

(2) How many chickens do you have right now?
    We have 29 on order.

(3) What breeds do you have?
    We ordered the "25 Rainbow layers" from McMurray, and also a Black Star roo, a Delaware roo, and a New Hampshire roo, and a mystery chick.

(4) How did you find out about BackYardChickens.com?
    Google search!

(5) What are some of your other hobbies?
    Reading forums, learning about homesteading, browsing at dollar stores to see what a dollar can buy me these days.

(6) Tell us about your family, your other pets, your occupation, or anything else you'd like to share.
    My family is originally from Indiana and Michigan and we recently moved to 50 acres in the El Paso, Texas area. We needed a change. We live in the middle of the desert. We are off grid, going back to living simple, and attempting to live a sustainable life. We are building our earthbag home. Our chicken coop is a pallet coop. We are also hoping to have rabbits for meat, a goat or cow for milk, red wrigglers, and aquaculture. I am a stay at home mom, its the best job I could ever ask for. We also have two male AKC Rottweiler brothers.

2. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    [​IMG] from Kansas, Eris! Glad you joined BYC! I just received an order from McMurray of 26. They all came in happy and healthy. Hope the Texas heat is finally giving you a break! have fun with your birds! [​IMG]

3. itsy

itsy Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2011
    New England
    [​IMG] Hey, welcome to BYC!

Wow - you dove right in with so many chicks!!!!!!!! You're going to have SO much fun. Don't forget to handle them lots so that they get used to you. I'd love to see your pallet coop over in the coops section of the forum.

4. wava1vaughn

wava1vaughn Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 24, 2011
    Cairo Ga.
    Hi from Ga.

[​IMG]

WELCOME ABOARD. [​IMG]

5. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Welcome to BYC.

6. Eris

Eris Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 15, 2011
    El Paso, Texas
    Yes we did jump right in with a lot, we thought getting a bunch and keeping the ones we like the most [​IMG]

I dont have any construction pictures but I suppose I could take a picture or two of the finished project.

Thank you all.

7. weimarmama

weimarmama Overrun With Chickens

Jun 4, 2010
    Alabama
    My Coop
    [​IMG] & [​IMG] from Alabama. Glad you joined us. You'll love having chickens, & of course, BYC is the place to be to learn about them.
    Lots of good luck with your chicks [​IMG]

8. Barred Babies

Barred Babies Red Roof Farms

Sep 20, 2009
    Pride, La.
    [​IMG] & [​IMG] from Louisiana!!

9. 4-H chicken mom

4-H chicken mom Overrun With Chickens

Aug 3, 2007
    Oberlin, OH
    [​IMG] and [​IMG] from Ohio. So glad you joined. Good luck with your chicks. [​IMG]

10. silky_3699

silky_3699 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 15, 2011
    My Own Realm!!!
    [​IMG]
    From Central Queensland

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by