Michigan Bald Eagles

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by Elmer Fudd, Feb 19, 2014.

1. Elmer Fudd

Elmer Fudd Out Of The Brooder

Feb 5, 2014
    Michigan
    Was sitting in the back room looking out the window when I saw a large bird flying toward the house at tree top level. It was a Bald Eagle. I called my wife and daughter to see and we ran from window to window as it flew over the house toward our Chicken/Duck Coop. Then my wife spotted a second eagle as I realized our black Shih Tzu was out in the snow taking care of business. I ran outside and quickly located him before he became dinner. It sure was cool to see those awesome birds but I guess I'll have to look around before letting the little dog out. Once the snow and ice melts they will spend more time on the river hunting and less time at my house.

2. RoostersCrow HensDeliver!

RoostersCrow HensDeliver! Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2011
    SE Michigan
    I have a breeding pair of Bald Eagles just down river from my house. Ive never had an issue with them taking any of my chickens, they are more interested in the field rabbits and wild birds, they actually don't pay much attention to my flock at all. I'm much more nervous when I see the pair of red tailed hawks hunting at our farm, the male has landed on a fence post 12 foot away from my coop and was checking out my chickens. They regularly do fly byes over my coop.
    If you have a smaller sized run, the eagles would probably never try to take a bird in it. When they catch live prey, they prefer to do it on the move and swoop down -grab the animal-then fly away. You have to remember that they have 6 foot wingspans and won't risk damage to their flight feathers unless they are desperately hungry. Hawks on the other hand are much smaller and agile, so they can fly into smaller spaces and land.

3. Elmer Fudd

Feb 5, 2014
    Michigan
    I have problems with Red Tails too, they have the most kills compared to any other predator on my flock. I did have a Bald Eagle dive bombing my ducks last summer. I heard them going nuts and ran outside to witness all the action. Once the eagle saw me he landed in a nearby tree he looked at the ducks then back at me before he decided to fly back to the river. Pretty cool to watch him a few feet above the ducks on my pond.

4. Elmer Fudd

Feb 5, 2014
    Michigan
    The rooster in my avatar was killed by a Red Tail when it flew inside the run to get him. The door was open so the birds could free range during the day. That Rooster was full grown and a big bird too. I also have lost guineas and maybe one cat to the RT's.

5. RoostersCrow HensDeliver!

RoostersCrow HensDeliver! Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2011
    SE Michigan
    Sorry to hear about your losses. I have lost birds to a broad winged hawk last summer, I mistakenly thought it was a weasel getting them but after the fourth kill on the fourth day the evidence made it apparent :(

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by