Michigan Chickenstock 2014 - planning ahead!

Wynette

Crowing
Premium Feather Member
12 Years
Sep 25, 2007
Michigan
Attendance thread for MI C-S 2014: https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/847882/michigan-chickenstock-2014-attendance

In the vein of starting a thread just after for the 2012 Chickenstock, I thought it would be a good idea to start one up for next year now, while ideas are still fresh in our minds.

Two things I wanted to mention & get thoughts on:

1) It dawned on me, watching the very long food line - why don't we pull the food tables out so that we can access it from BOTH SIDES? It would be easy to do, and we could just unplug the crock pots just before the line begins so that no one would need to step over them. Thoughts?

2) I chatted briefly with Gail (glambka), the member selling Pysanky and plants, about the possibility of her hosting a discussion next year about pysanky - the origins, history, meaning, etc. If anyone would be interested in something along these lines, she'd be happy to do so, and we can set a time for it at next year's C-S.

I also got to wondering if folks would be interested in someone coming in to speak on a subject each year - my thought is to contact MSU's poultry sciences deparment and ask someone from that department to pop over to discuss a different topic each year - things such as biosecurity, the importance of quarantining new stock, feeding regimens, etc. We've got plenty of time to discuss topics, and if there would even be interest.

Anyway, I just thought I'd throw these ideas out there for now.

Observations: DH thought the food was the best of any C-S so far!

There seems to have been issues in the past with folks not taking their leftovers back home with them (or otherwise disposing of them appropriately), but this year seems to have gone much better in that regard.

I don't know if Sam has reported out on the number of attendees, but I would love to hear that number!

Any other suggestions or observations you'd like to share?

Last edited:
I think maybe we should have a loose agenda (poster) for what we plan and when, so that everyone is aware and we don't need to have people yelling when lunch is, or the raffle starting.

Having a speaker would be great. I spoke to Raz after CS and we talked a little about certification..I wish he was able to share what he knew - maybe next year.

I think maybe we should have a loose agenda (poster) for what we plan and when, so that everyone is aware and we don't need to have people yelling when lunch is, or the raffle starting.

Having a speaker would be great. I spoke to Raz after CS and we talked a little about certification..I wish he was able to share what he knew - maybe next year.
We tried an agenda I think year before last and it didn't seem to work, but we can sure give it another whirl.

I've often thought one of those bullhorns or whatever they're called would be quite helpful but I have absolutley no idea where you'd fine one! Maybe a sporting goods place? I can price those out & pick one up before next year if they're reasonable.

Do you mean NPIP certification?

In order to have a two sided food line we will need people to bring folding tables. Our current setup utilized the existing wall mounted table and the two folding tables that I have brought each year. Obviously the seats on the picnic tables make them unwieldy for serving tables.

We also might list food categories so we don't wind up with quite so many desserts. We still have enough plates, napkins, and utensils that we won't need anyone to bring any next year.

We've had posted event times in the past and I still had to go around trying to get folks to come up to the pavilion.

Last edited:
Wow!! All excellent ideas. I love the MSU talks, and the egg talk by Gail I would love both. I need to learn as much as I can, hahaha. Yes next year I will bring what I said I would bring, sorry. I think if we said 12:00 is lunch 1:30 is raffle etc.. should work, surely we are a little like cattle you see one headed up to the feed trough everyone fellow, lol. We can before CS tell everyone the times things will happen and to print it out and fellow it. Everyone will be talking about the raffle at lunch to stick around or come back after eating to have the raffle. Ok, now this next year there should be an announcement to make sure everyone has their name in raffle who brought something before calling names. Oh and yes a bullhorn, I will be asking around for one.

Kimmie

Last edited:
I didn't realize those tables at the front were fixed. Geesh! Good thing I'm not an Engineer for a living, eh? I think if I was, I'd not be a very good one to let a detail like that slip by.

I would be happy to bring a folding table so that we could do 2 lines next year. I only have one folding one, but I'll watch for another at garage sales this summer!

My wife Cindy told me the same thing when we got home about passing down two sides for food. It would be nice to try and make something like that work.

Raffle table - It may just be me but did non-members get to draw off the table? I only ask because I was told last year that my wife could not set someting and enter the raffle because she was not "officially" a BYC member as I am. We had no problem with that. I think only BYC members, with screen names, should enter the raffle. That's part of the reason we are members. Also, there should be a reasonable limit on items. One item per person and try and keep a value between 5 and 10 dollars. I know some people don't have alot but I think that's reasonable. It's no different from Christmas swaps.

I liked the way Silly set up the task planning ahead. I signed up a year before as photag. Do the same thing and remind people through the year to volunteer.

Food was on par with years before. The food sign-up was good and should let people know who's bringing what. Towards the final push the food guru can remind people what is missing if it's really needed. Like, "Hey - nobody's bringing any meat" LOL! I would have brought burgers if I knew. we'll leave the smoked chicken to OPA though, it's great!

Seminars are a good idea. I do believe a loose agenda should be followed. Maybe a thread on that and other events with times? If you miss it oh well, ha ha. It's such a samll area I'm sure nobody will miss the food line or swap (unless they leave).

Try to encourage more members to come. It seems like a few that were there last year were MIA. I know - it's the busy season!

Should we nominate, and vote, on who will be 2014's Queen Hen and King Rooster? Just kidding.

No matter what it was a great time. Great people, great food, and lots to do in a short time.

I can probably bring a couple of folding tables next year if we decide to do a two-sided serving gig...

Also, like the idea of food categories ... the list certainly helped me decide to bring 6lbs of meat (meatballs & venison steak samplers..), but a category list would defintely help balance things out. AND totally agree, Opa's chicken is the best chicken I have EVER had!!!!!!!!

I think I could "volunteer" to handle the food category list...:))))

Can some one please tell me where to find specific directions and date and time and place for this event? I din't know we had this in michigan. I really want to go!

PM me if you have an info, thanks!

Last edited:
iamfivewire and I had a great time visiting this years event and we have our Chickenstock Uggo shirts to wear proudly
clap.gif
We could not spend the entire time getting to know everyone due to another obligation that our sweet little Teddy Bear was already committed to. Since his reign as Deputy Dog of Williamston will be ending this August 1, he should be able to just attend for all the love and pets people can give him :). Brett and I (Candy) enjoyed the tables of different types of chickens, ducks, and loved the fiber too! (I am a knitter :) ).

We are looking forward to next years event. I have subscribed to this thread so hope I get updates on the details from here.

Back
Top Bottom