Michigan Warm Up....4mth old ducklings going outside!(PICTURES

FunnyBunnies12

Songster
9 Years
Aug 28, 2010
Cedar Springs, Michigan
We are having our warm-up thaw this week where we are looking at close to 60 by end of this new week, I've moved the 4mth old ducklings/and adult ducks outside today in hopes that I can keep them outside. Am I safe to assume that they are fat enough and have enough down on them to put them outside now FT even though I know this is just a temporary warm up and we'll probably get another snow storm and in the 20's again, I'm hoping NOT any more teens or single digit temps, I'm sick of winter. I'm working on getting a kennel this week and shelter situated to keep them outside under our deck until the actual full spring thaw and move the kennel out onto our yard. I actually have a kiddie pool out on the deck today, it's 44 outside and they are loving being on the deck. Mom and Dad are outside with them and everyone is getting along just fine. Here are my October babies! I've only got 1 green head drake out of the bunch of Rouen/Runner mix. Have any of you put your ducklings outside FT yet?
66568_109.jpg

66568_112.jpg

66568_110.jpg

Oh wow you have such gorgeous ducks!!! They will have so much fun outside. we dont get much snow where we are, only every few years we get 1 day of snow.

OMG...they are alllll grown up. If they were my kids I would of evicted them a long time ago..
lau.gif
noo, just joking, I know it gets cold up there and you have done a great job in looking after their WELFARE. You now need to tell them, the WELFARE check is over with, time to move out and get your own place to party in.
They are looking good.

One very pretty ducks
big_smile.png
Second.......wow what a great idea for a waterer they can't get in. That would also work for food to......I think I just might steel that one.

Thanks
wee.gif

OMG...they are alllll grown up. If they were my kids I would of evicted them a long time ago.. noo, just joking, I know it gets cold up there and you have done a great job in looking after their WELFARE. You now need to tell them, the WELFARE check is over with, time to move out and get your own place to party in.
They are looking good.

yuckyuck.gif

So very true! I love them all dearly but yes it is time to "Leave The Nest". My extended family is really, really, HIGHLY getting on my nerves
somad.gif
because they keep telling me, especially now that they have taken care of my flock while in Vegas that maybe now that they are all grown up I should "Release them into the wild where they belong and can migrate with the others." HELLO!!! They are domesticated ducks, Runners don't fly well or at all, if they do short distances, they are in constant human contact/interaction. I have explained to them time and time again, that they are our pets/family and provider of food by laying eggs for us the way our youngest son eats eggs, he was a avid chicken egg lover, but since he's had duck eggs to eat, there is no turning back unless the only girl(Momma) isn't laying and we have to get more eggs. But once the 7 baby females begin to lay along with her, we will be well provided for in that department.

Jack & Mommy's Duck, I couldn't suggest anything else with the container idea I tried so many other things and with having the ducklings in the house and loving the mess of splashing water and going back/forth with the food, it saved me a ton of work and mess and smell, didn't eliminate it but it certainly decreased it. So steal away my idea!​

60s? What news station are you watching? Cedar Springs isn't that far from me and we're looking at high 40s, low 50s.

Oh! And yes, your ducks can absolutely be moved outside. Yesterday.
lol.png

60s? What news station are you watching? Cedar Springs isn't that far from me and we're looking at high 40s, low 50s.

Oh! And yes, your ducks can absolutely be moved outside. Yesterday.

I've just been reading Wood8 Bill S. Blog, LOL I belong on it. But I've read/heard mid 50's close to 60. But it is Michigan, the weather here changes in a heartbeat! Well heck, I just read the weatherbug and you are right. See, it's Michigan weather. If it gets to bitter I'll just move them into the garage. So much for that "Warm Up" they talked about. I guess it was just today. LOL!​

Bill must be messing with people because last week he wrote on his blog not to get excited about the long range models coming out of the NWS and the like because with all the snow on the ground we wouldn't see those high temps. And now he's teasing with predictions in the 60s? Tsk, tsk. lol!

I'll take 40s for now. It's better than what we were having. Just wish this warm up would stick. We'll have more winter to come though, I'm sure.
roll.png

Bill must be messing with people because last week he wrote on his blog not to get excited about the long range models coming out of the NWS and the like because with all the snow on the ground we wouldn't see those high temps. And now he's teasing with predictions in the 60s? Tsk, tsk. lol!

Are you on the blog to? You then may have already figured out who I am on there:p It's nice to have someone on this board who is close by. Can I ask how close is close to Cedar Springs? My only problem is with these ducklings is when they all flock up and stare into the house from the slider door as if they are cold. I must resist their "Ducky sad eyes that try to say MOMMY WE'RE COLD LET US BACK IN!" LOL!!​

Back
Top Bottom