1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login, otherwise join BYC here!

Michigan?

Discussion in 'Chicken Breeders & Hatcheries' started by Anny, Aug 11, 2008.

1. Anny

Anny Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 24, 2008
    Detroit Michigan
    Any back yard hatcheries in the Michigan area, south west area preferable.

I'd like to eventually add at least 2 more hens to my group I'd love either wyandot, Buff Orpington or an EE

please let me know.

2. fullhouse

fullhouse Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2008
    MI
    I find a many backyard breeders on www.bestfarmbuys.com . There are also several 4h type swap meets and auctions. I don't know what type of birds are at the local auctions though. The gentleman I got several of my chicks from is way up north, a good five hours.

3. Daycare Mom

Daycare Mom Chickens, Cuddly and Delicious

Apr 9, 2008
    Conklin, Michigan
    You could alway post an ad on Craiglist, its free and I have seen lots of hens and chicks for sale on there. Good Luck!

4. ghulst

ghulst Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 31, 2008
    Zeeland Michigan
    Townline Hatchery in Zeeland still sells ISA Browns and Cornish X. It is getting late in the season.I work there and it has been the best season ever.
    They also sell started pullets of the ISA browns. They are the the best layers of brown eggs that there is. Their phone# 616-772- 6514

5. Leah-yes I know I'm crazy

Leah-yes I know I'm crazy Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 24, 2008
    Skidway Lake, MI
    Quote:My feed mill sold chicks in the spring through townline...and I did an additional order by calling them. I had a 100% survival rate on both (with the execption of the neighbors cat). I did end up with one rooster ariconna by mistake but fell in love with him...so it's all good.

6. CK Chickadilly

CK Chickadilly Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 11, 2008
    West Michigan
    Quote:I just recently heard of the Zeeland hatchery. Next spring I would like to get some girls for eggs, but starting with either eggs or chicks. Can I pick them up at the hatchery since I live in MI, not to far away?

Also, do they have a good variety of breeds??
    Thanks!

7. Heidi

Heidi Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 18, 2007
    Northwest Michigan
    I ordered from Townline last year and there is no minimum as long as you pick up. Super nice people too. All my chicks were very healthy and I didn't loose any due to illness or stress.

8. CK Chickadilly

CK Chickadilly Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 11, 2008
    West Michigan
    That is good to know. Then I wouldn't have to worry about broken or damaged eggs.

Heidi, where in MI are you?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by