Miconazole for Favus Question

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by crawfordmama, Jan 13, 2011.

1. crawfordmama

crawfordmama Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 29, 2010
    The Lakes Region, NH
    I believe my flock has favus. [​IMG] We've had some bitter cold days, then the temperature would jump to the high 50s causing a thaw. This caused the air to be very damp for a few days. I suppose it doesn't matter how well ventilated my coop is if the air seems so thick you could cut it with a knife! I bought some Monistat to treat combs and wattles (maybe earlobes too - not sure). It came with an internal cream, and an external one. Does it matter which on I apply? The tube of external cream is pretty tiny, so if I'm limited to using just that type, I'm going to need to make another trip to the drugstore! Thanks in advance for your insight!

2. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    I dont know about the cream, but you can buy a can of lotrimin anti fungal spray which contains miconazole. You can spray it on your fingers and rub it onto the comb and wattles.

3. crawfordmama

Jun 29, 2010
    The Lakes Region, NH
    Good idea - sounds less messy than globbing cream on them and having them flick it all over the place! Thanks dawg!

4. henney penny

henney penny Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 21, 2009
    Northern Maine
    Could you post a picture of this,and did your chickens have black spots on ther combs

5. alleyjazz

alleyjazz Out Of The Brooder

Oct 1, 2010
    Southern New Hampshire
    I noticed some black spots on one of my RR's and I've been treating her with some OTC antifungla jock itch cream. Not sure what the active ingredient is. I think it may be favus and I'm a little concerned that others may have it too. I noticed that my two California Whites have a white film on their combs. I wonder what could be causing this. It seems that we are all New Englanders with the problem.

6. crawfordmama

Jun 29, 2010
    The Lakes Region, NH
    Sorry, I haven't logged on in a couple of days. I'll post some pics tomorrow. Basically, it looks like a slight white lacing on their combs and wattles, along with tiny black dots. The dots make the combs look the way they did before they started laying and they weren't yet bright red. The combs also look a little rough, like a dog's paw pad. At first I thought it was very dry skin, but after seeing some recent BYC pics of favus, I assumed they have it. I blame it on the couple of thaws we had in December, which made everything so damp. I feel your pain alleyjazz!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by