Micro Self Sufficiency Project - Cartagena Colombia

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by cartagenero, Jan 12, 2009.

1. cartagenero

cartagenero New Egg

Jan 12, 2009
    We are attempting to determine suitable projects to help alleviate the distressing proverty in the city and its immediate area. Raising chickens may be part of the solution but as novices we would appreciate knowing:
    1. considering that these people are unable to feed themselves properly, how would they be able to feed chickens? eg is there an inexpensive easy-grow crop that could be produced in minimal space?
    2. what are the common diseases afflicting chickens that would should anticipate in this geographical area and how can we best mitigate the risk of disease?
    3. is there a particular type of chicken best suited for this geographical area (tropical, arid, humid, short intense rainy seasons)?
    4. other considerations that should have been included above?

2. SussexInSeattle

SussexInSeattle Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 6, 2008
    Washington
    Chickens can free range and basically almost feed themselves once they are older but chick feed is relatively inexpensive, seems like once chickens get a taste of free ranging, they don't care so much for the commercial feed. Chickens LOVE lush grass, they eat quite a bit of it. Grass is a cheap crop. If the chickens are penned too close and tight together, they will kill all the grass by their constant eating and scratching so they should be allowed a large area to range.

They could be tempted to stay close to home if they are afforded a safe and strong place to roost and lay eggs and get out of the rain. I think the sturdy hen house is a large factor in giving the birds a sense of home and safety.

I would choose breeds indigenous to your country since they will be able to survive the heat and humidity. There are 'chicken chart's online that will give breeds that do better in cold and some that do better in heat. I had heard that Turkens or 'Naked Necks' do OK in heat due to having no feathers around their neck. I would not choose breeds with feathers on their feet.

When looking for "Type" I would say to choose friendlier breeds since some breeds are not known to care too much for human interaction and if these birds are to free range for most of their meals, you want chickens that want to be around people.

http://www.ithaca.edu/staff/jhenderson/chooks/chooks.html

Ameraucana breed, right off the bat!

Last edited: Jan 12, 2009
  3. JCfans

JCfans Out Of The Brooder

Jul 8, 2008
    Central Illinois
    When looking through the breed list the Catalana looks to be a great one for your climate. I have never seen them but it sounds like they are very common in South America. They get to a decent weight and could be used as a decent dual purpose bird both for meat and egg laying. Chickens love insects If they aren't able to free range for them perhaps insect traps could be used. Insects contain alot of protein and their shells can provide calcium.
    Chickens can eat grasses but I don't think they provide much for them in the way of nutrition. I am not sure what to grow plant wise but I am sure there will be some good posts here.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by