Micro small chicken peeps, help!

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by OneLostHen, Dec 9, 2013.

1. OneLostHen

OneLostHen Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 29, 2012
    Santa Fe, TX
    I went to the feed store and saw two all black micro small chickens. And when I say all black, I mean feathers, comb, waddle, and legs. Jet black.
    They were the size of quail. Small quail. But had rather developed comb an waddle. No pointy saddle feathers and their tail feathers weren't standing upright and fanned out like I see most bantams do. Instead they were kinda down and flat like most large breed chickens.
    They also had little heads with rather bugged out eyes. Pretty cute actually.
    I'm sorry I have no pics! I kind of want to go get them, they looked so pathetic and were just shivering. But have no idea why they are!
    Any clue? Thanks!

2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Sumatras?

3. OneLostHen

Mar 29, 2012
    Santa Fe, TX
    Perhaps. But they were smaller than the sumatras I've seen before. Yet they seemed developed enough to have comb and waddle.
    Their tail feathers didn't stand up at all or fan out as well.

4. OneLostHen

Mar 29, 2012
    Santa Fe, TX
    Best way I can describe is a softball sized australorp.
    I could be wrong, but all the bantams I've ever seen had huge tail feathers that stood way up high.
    These just didn't have that.

5. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    What kind of comb did they have? Single or? No face tufts? Ideal does carry black Sumatras in bantam, they tend to carry their tails more flat and behind them, but the tails are usually long (if adults) and they tend to be a more streamlined shape, they have pea type combs though that are fairly small esp when young.

6. OneLostHen

Mar 29, 2012
    Santa Fe, TX
    They had single combs. And no muffs.

7. Kelsie2290

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    Feathered feet? Cochins with out much foot feathering? Japanese, that were unhappy and keeping tails low?

8. OneLostHen

Mar 29, 2012
    Santa Fe, TX
    No feathered feet and the tail feathers weren't long, yet down. They didn't have the round rump of a Cochin either.
    I'll go by and gets some pics later today. I'm so curious!

9. Kelsie2290

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    Unhappy OEGs, Moderns, Dutch or Spanish are about the only other single combed black bantams from hatcheries I can think of... must go check out hatchery websites.

10. OneLostHen

Mar 29, 2012
    Santa Fe, TX
    Thanks! I'll google what those look like!
    And still try to get pics tonight.
    I want them but would have to build something separate. Not to mention one was sneezing a lot and had a gunky nose...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by