Microwave bator (Update)

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by rambo3715, Sep 3, 2009.

1. rambo3715

rambo3715 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 19, 2009
    Hello all, I have seen a few post on here about using or trying to use an old microwave for a homemade incubator. I just happened to have one laying around and thought I would give it a shot. I took apart the microwave and took out the magnatron, the fan in the back that didnt work anyway, adn a few other things. I got me a lower thermostat for an electric water heater, a pigtail for the light source, pc fan and 12v transformer and an accurite digital therometer. Using the excisting plug in from the microwave I ran the wire to the thermostat adn then a wire from the thermostat to the positive on the pigtail adn then a small jumper to the plug in of the 12v transformer. Then I ran the ground to the other side of the pigtail and another small jumper to the other side of the 12v transformer. Plugged it in and everything lit up. Now the light is a 75 watt bulb that is outside of the internal microwave enclosure where there is vent hole to let the heat inside. There are also vent holes on the outside cover where I have the pc fan mounted to draw in fresh air. The temp on the inside reads around 98 with humidity in the 50's. It had a reading this afternoon of 104 so I turned the dial down but everything stayed on. At 6 this afternoon it was 98. Could it be that the fan is pulling in to much air at once? Should I mount the fan on the inside where the eggs will be to pull in the heat from the bulb? Thanks for any and all help.

Last edited: Sep 7, 2009
  2. rambo3715

Jul 19, 2009
    UPDATE : Switched the fan to the inside of the microwave today. Now temp is at 108. Turned the thermostat all the way down but it still stays on continously. Where am I going wrong?

3. Princess Amri

Princess Amri Is Mostly Harmless

Jul 16, 2009
    best coast
    Yikes! I would think a microwave would kill the chicks! Isn't there radiation hazard or something? I hope you meant "toaster oven"!

4. ranchhand

ranchhand Rest in Peace 1956-2011

Aug 25, 2008
    SC
    Quote:Magnetron is out, no microwaves bouncing around.

Can you put the fan on a separate rheostat, to control the volume of air movement? It's getting complex- you may have too much insulation because of the shielding in a micro, or it might just require more fiddling with to balance it out.

Give it a week of balanced temp and humidity before you put any eggs in, and good luck.

Last edited: Sep 4, 2009
  5. rambo3715

Jul 19, 2009
    ANOTHER UPDATE : I now have three thermometers. 2 digital and one analog, with the red liquid. One of the digital one is wrappd up in my water wiggler and is showing a temp of 99.6 - 100.1. The other digital one is showing an air temp of 99.5 - 102. The analog one is showing an air temp of 100. The thermostat now kicks off at 102 and back on at 98 or 99. Humidity is around 54%.

Looks like I'm on the right track. Got my fingers crossed.

Last edited: Sep 6, 2009

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by