Microwave Oat Egg Scramble! (recipe)

Fizabee

Chirping
Oct 21, 2020
So, out of the blue, it's snowing here in St. Louis! Just a tiny sprinkle, but it was a reminder for me that colder weathers are coming. Since our flock of four sleep in a small coop with wood-shaving bedding, their main source of heat is hot water bottles and the occasional child-snuggle. However, this flock is taken care of yours truly (a person who can only be described as paranoid) so I really like to leave warm foods for them, as well as some treats to make up for the lack of greens and bugs available in the yard this time of year. On top of that, this is also the time of year for the the hens to molt, so I like giving them some extra love and attention in the form of treats with more protein. This is one of my favorite ways to cover all the bases. I make it in a microwave, but you could easily make it in a skillet or saucepan. I like to add in small chunks of apple, leftover roast carrots, and sometimes freezer peas to add a more nutritional aspect, but I find that it's fine without as well. Enjoy!

Microwave Oat Egg Scramble Recipe
Ingredients:
1 cup raw oatmeal ( I just use the stuff from the coffee-can containers)
2 eggs
1/4 cup of water or milk
{Optional} 1/2 cup to 1 cup of fruit or veggie mix-ins, anything your chooks enjoy

All you do is mix the oats and egg in a small microwave-safe bowl, then add the water. Microwave in thirty-second increments, mixing well between each increment. For me it takes about three thirty-second periods. Alternately, you could cook in a saucepan or skillet with the same method as you cook scrambled eggs. Add mix-ins after cooking. Chow down, chickens!

P.S. This is also okay for humans to eat, if your littles are bizarre like mine and like scrambled eggs and oatmeal mixed together. Maybe make sure you cook it a little longer for them though.

Back
Top Bottom