Microwave Poached Egg

Discussion in 'Egg, Chicken, & Other Favorite Recipes' started by AtholCoop, Jul 8, 2010.

1. AtholCoop

AtholCoop Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 27, 2008
    North Idaho
    Ever tried to cook an egg in the microwave and had it get all esplody? Yeah me too, unless you like scrambled eggs not much you can do with just a microwave. Or so I thought. Now I love a slightly runny poached egg on a piece of toast, but here at work all we have to cook with is a microwave, and it turns out co-workers don't appreciate esplody egg residues in the community microwave.

Quick note, this process involves handling VERY hot water, if you can't handle that please don't try it.

Ok so first we need some bowls.

[​IMG]

The little bowl is a clear Pyrex custard cup or something that I swiped from my wife (shhhh) it goes inside the larger bowl.

Put some water in the larger bowl, just enough to come up about halfway, you don't want the custard cup moving around, and then shoot some pam in the custard cup

[​IMG]

Then jam the whole thing in the microwave for a couple minutes until the water boils.

[​IMG]

Once the water boils add your egg. In this case two bantam eggs, but if you're using regular sized eggs just one.

[​IMG]

Some seasoning is a good thing to add too.

Then put the whole thing back in the microwave and give it another minute or so. The microwave at work gives me perfect slightly runny eggs in 1 minute 10 seconds, the one at home takes a little longer. You may have to play with the times a bit to get it where you want it.

[​IMG]

Poached egg perfection.

2. 2DogsFarm

2DogsFarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2009
    NW Indiana
    You're making this harder than it needs to be [​IMG]

Skip the boiling water step - just spray your cup with the Pam, break the eggs directly into it and poke the yokes & whites with the tip of a knife (this prevents the 'sploding). Cover with wax paper or plastic wrap leaving a loose edge for steam to escape (more 'splode prevention).

Microwave on High for 30sec then check - remember the eggs will still cook a bit after you take them out. Cook for 10sec more if needed.

A large egg takes about 40sec in my microwave - like you said the timing varies from oven to oven.

3. AtholCoop

AtholCoop Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 27, 2008
    North Idaho
    Tried the poking the yolks and whites thing and had limited success. Sometimes the hole simply cooked shut and then...espoldy. The thing about the water part is that it helps absorb some of the RF from the microwave itself so it's not so concentrated on the egg, but you still get the heat energy out of the boiling water. At least that's my theory.

4. 2DogsFarm

2DogsFarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2009
    NW Indiana
    Very Scientifical about the RF & water [​IMG]

OK - go ahead
    You do your way, I'll do mine and we both end up with nice poachy eggs : 9

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by