"Mid-size" breeds?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by sammijane, Jan 20, 2013.

1. sammijane

sammijane Out Of The Brooder

Jan 20, 2013
    Missouri
    I am in a pickle here. I have had a fear of chickens for a while, but have also wanted chickens for many years. I have figured out that larger flocks of larger birds are what scare me. (I was "mobbed" as a kid) So logically, a smaller flock of bantams would suit me. But, I am planning to raise them for eggs and meat. Bantams seem like they would be too small for the job.

Are there any "mid-size" breeds that are larger than average bantams, but smaller than average standard size?

Another option would be crossing bantam Roos to full size hens. I've read that you usually get medium birds that way?

2. cgmccary

cgmccary Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 14, 2007
    NE Alabama
    Bantams can often be more aggressive than large fowl. Someone at a show just told me how their bantams were the aggressive ones. Many large fowl breeds are very gentle.

Frankly, I think you ought to somehow deal with your fear of chickens before getting any. I don't think anyone ought to keep an animal that they fear.

P.S. Hatchery stock of any breed of large fowl are often what I call mid-size -- so any hatchery stock would do (to answer your question).

Last edited: Jan 20, 2013
  3. sammijane

sammijane Out Of The Brooder

Jan 20, 2013
    Missouri
    Large flocks of large birds are what bother me. Not any and all chickens. But than you.

4. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Why not start out with just 4 or 5 small layers and take it easy on yourself. The small bodied Red Sex Links are notoriously human friendly and easy to manage. The Black sex links are often on the smaller size as well and very laid back, at least the strains we've had were docile. Take your time. These little hybrid layers are a small bodied bird. Just a thought. A small bodied bird isn't going to be truly dual purpose though.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by