Mid Tn Organic Feed Buying Club...

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by believer01, Jan 21, 2011.

1. believer01

believer01 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 19, 2010
    Hope that title caught some folks interest!!!

Hey y'all ~ I'm hoping to find enough folks in this area to start an Organic Feed Buying Club! I have real concerns with the locally available feeds which contain GMO corn/soybeans, and unidentified meat proteins. But it costs way too much to ship one 50# bag of organic feed. So if a number of us banded together and bought a larger quantity that price would go down.

Anyone interested? [​IMG]

2. RoosterGeek

RoosterGeek Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 31, 2010
    Lebanon, TN
    I might be interested. Have you found any sources in or near TN that the club could buy from?

3. believer01

Dec 19, 2010
    Morning Rooster G - I'll email you so we can talk specifics. There's one other who may be interested. Hope we can find some additional folks! Spread the word, ok?

4. jjp

jjp Out Of The Brooder

Dec 12, 2010
    Bell Buckle, TN
    I might be interested. I'm new to chickens. We have 22 pullets and 4 roos. They are 14 weeks old. Right now we are feeding Tucker Milling chick/starter grower. Would like to check on prices for going organic.

5. believer01

Dec 19, 2010
    Hey Jason,
    Welcome to the world of poultry. I wanted eggs, but then fell in love with the girls who produce them. Only have 5 but each is special.

Years ago my son did a project for his Biology class - raised 12 quail, split into 2 cages. We knew for sure there was at least one roo and 4 hens in each. Everything was the same except for the feed....one group was fed commercial game feed, the other organic wheat. We didn't know that wasn't a sufficient ration back then, but needless to say -

the final tally was:
    Organic feed = 49 eggs
    Commercial feed = 9 eggs

I asked his biology professor if that difference was significant and she bout freaked out! Emphatically stated Yes! No way could such a numerical difference be accounted for with any other variables, etc.

Besides, who wants to worry bout the quality of the eggs you're feeding your family?

I'll pm you so watch for it!

6. RoosterGeek

Aug 31, 2010
    Lebanon, TN
    I totally forgot about this. Sorry about that! I'll look into finding a local organic feed mill closer to our area.

7. believer01

Dec 19, 2010
    While I'd still like to find a prepared ration that is organic, I'd like to let you all know that there are a number of local sources for scratch grains! I've been part of a co=op that gets a considerable discount on 25 and 50# bags of organic corn, oats, wheat, barley, millet, etc. No cost to join, no minimun/maximum purchases. Morningside delivers once a month at various locations. In Murfreesboro it's at Sportscom. kPretty sure they deliver to Lebanon as well. The nice thing about feeding whole, untreated grains is that should any be missed, it has the potential to grow a new plant so won't be wasted. The cost is about 25% less than most stores/feed lots.

Also, Sunshine Nutrition Center In M'boro (and most other health food stores) will give a 15% discount if you buy whole bags/cases of things.

8. RoosterGeek

Aug 31, 2010
    Lebanon, TN
    Quote:I'll have to check that out! I go to school at MTSU.

9. CityGal / CountryWorld

CityGal / CountryWorld Out Of The Brooder

Jul 4, 2010
    Greensboro, NC
    I am interested in possibly going in on organic feed... live in Mcminnville TN, work in Chattanooga, and travel thru M'Boro about 1x a month...

10. CityGal / CountryWorld

CityGal / CountryWorld Out Of The Brooder

Jul 4, 2010
    Greensboro, NC
    I have been reaserching this much to my boyfriend's chagrin...
    found a few places in TN right here on BYC...
    here is the link
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/web/viewblog.php?id=20741-organic-chicken-feeds

so far places i have found that carry certified organic online have been far away, i did find a reseller in Knoxville,
    but that is still 2 hrs from me and the place that sells what they resell was asking 23 or 24 per 50 lb bag!
    I am barely braking even at $14 a bag for purina layena (all natural no animal products)
    thinking about mixing up some grains to supplement this.... and just going with it
    shannon

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by