Middle-aged chicken starts to brood

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by froghollowfarm, Sep 28, 2011.

1. froghollowfarm

froghollowfarm Out Of The Brooder

Jul 18, 2008
    I have a buff orphington who is 2 years, 3 months old who has suddenly started acting like she's sitting on a nest. She had been a good egg layer, gave it up for a few months and just started again a couple of weeks ago. Now she won't leave the laying box except to eat and drink. She even sleeps there. Is this behavior odd, especially for an older chicken? Anything to be concerned about? Neither she nor any of the other hens has ever acted like this in the past.

2. laceynoelle

laceynoelle Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 12, 2009
    Reno
    As long as she's not sick, then she's just broody. It hits some later, and actually, most chickens arent supposed to go broody thier first season anyway (so Ive read? Mine have [​IMG] ) Is she collecting eggs, acting territorial, and clucking a lot? Broody. No? She might be sick.

3. centrarchid

centrarchid Chicken Obsessed

Sep 19, 2009
    Holts Summit, Missouri
    Hen in question not old enough to be middle aged. Give her a few more years for that.

4. Achickenwrangler#1

Achickenwrangler#1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 7, 2011
    west virginia
    is she on fertile eggs? and do you wat chicks? it is kinda late in the season but it sure sounds broody...

5. WoodlandWoman

WoodlandWoman Overrun With Chickens

May 8, 2007
    Wisconsin
    She's still quite young. A lot of chickens that aren't particularly broody breeds don't go broody until after they're hens, not when they're pullets. Mine have also been the broodiest their first year as hens and less so as they got a little older.

6. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

My two year old BO is broody right now, too, but this is her third session. Two years is NOT middle aged! (As others have already said.)

She's brooding with a blue Orpington, sharing nest space under a step in the coop, but each on a separate clutch of eggs.

Hopefully yours IS broody, and not I'll. I suspect it's the former. Sure hope she's got fertile eggs under her.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by