Middle aged roo not doing well

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Black Feather, Dec 22, 2008.

1. Black Feather

Black Feather Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 20, 2007
    I have a 4 year old rosecomb roo that has not been doing well the last few months.

He just seems to be "fading". Not completely sick, and not completely well. Just sort of listless. He gets around and eats and drinks and seems to pick up a bit if I add vitamins to his water, but starts to fade again a few days later. He's not dirty, or buggy and his balance is ok, but he seems weak. His comb is on the pale side, but no sneezing or gurgling from his breathing and no discharge from his eyes.

Any ideas?

Urban Coyote

Last edited: Dec 22, 2008
  2. tazcat70

tazcat70 I must be crazy!

I am sorry I am no help at all. I haven't tried it but I have heard of Rooster Booster.

Good luck!

3. Msbear

Msbear Fancy Banties

May 8, 2008
    Sharpsburg, MD.
    [​IMG] sorry to hear that. Hope he isn't your best boy.

4. hinkjc

hinkjc Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 11, 2007
    PA
    Internal parasites would be my guess. I'm so sorry and hope you can figure this out for him.

5. Black Feather

Black Feather Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 20, 2007
    I'm afraid he passed away [​IMG] Unfortunately he was one of my better boys and the roo that was the cornerstone of my bloodline [​IMG]

I don't think it was parasites as I keep a regular vitamin/ de-worming program and he was in good physical condition with good body weight. He didn't waste away. I'm thinking a tumor or cancer of some sort. I may try to do an autopsy to see if I can find anything.

I still have the girls from his bloodline and he does have lots of sons, daughters, and grand chicks, so his bloodline has not been lost. I just wish I was able to do something for him.

Urban Coyote

6. Msbear

Msbear Fancy Banties

May 8, 2008
    Sharpsburg, MD.
    oh. what a shame. so sorry. These things do happen and thank goodness you have some of his offspring to work with.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by