Middle of March, how much time do I have to buy pullets?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by GardenGal, Mar 13, 2011.

1. GardenGal

GardenGal Songster

Mar 11, 2011
    Western WA
    As usual, we're running behind, and I'm getting nervous about being too late to buy pullets soon. We live in Western Washington. How long does the season (if that's the right word) go? Answers much appreciated!

2. chevgrl

chevgrl Songster

Feb 6, 2011
    Western Iowa
    TSC just started getting their chicks in. And most hatcheries sell chicks Feb-Oct and other more common breeds are available all year around. I know Murray McMuarry hatchery its sole out of alot. But no its definately not too late... it's never too late! [​IMG]: [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 13, 2011
  3. GardenGal

GardenGal Songster

Mar 11, 2011
    Western WA
    Oh thank you:D! I'm thinking of getting Sussex chickens, are they fairly common? Buff Orpingtons come in a close second. I so appreciate this site and all the helpful people!

4. In Washington, we always figured October 31st to be the first stages of winter. Your chicks should be fully feathered before heading into winter so if you got your chicks by the 1st of September then you would be ok.

5. chevgrl

chevgrl Songster

Feb 6, 2011
    Western Iowa
    Most hatchery sites have a list of what's available and what's not also you can usually order chicks from your local feed store if they order chicks. Bad thing about ordering through a hatchery the usually require a minimum order of 25chicks but you can go to mypetchicken.com they do smaller minimums. But you pay more for shipping and special packaging.

6. GardenGal

GardenGal Songster

Mar 11, 2011
    Western WA
    So far I've found a couple farms in the area that sell chicks and pullets, and I'd like to go that route so they don't have to be shipped. I've been looking forward to them all winter and am getting antsy to get them! My poor husband [​IMG]

7. chevgrl

chevgrl Songster

Feb 6, 2011
    Western Iowa
    It never ends! I just got 40+ chicks the end of Feb most Cornishx and a few bantams and layers, and you'd think I'd be satisfied I have 25 more coming probably next Sunday or monday for sure! And I am antsy! We have very very few breeders around where I live and our poultry sales don't start till May so well see hopefully I'll be satisfied after this next batch!

Last edited: Mar 13, 2011
  8. GardenGal

GardenGal Songster

Mar 11, 2011
    Western WA
    I've already learned about chicken math, chevgrl - and chicken addictions!

9. chevgrl

chevgrl Songster

Feb 6, 2011
    Western Iowa
    In that case it's always nice to meet another addict [​IMG]

10. hennyannie

hennyannie Songster

Mar 12, 2011
    North Carolina
    Back at you. Addict here.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: