middle TN/north AL hatcheries

Discussion in 'Chicken Breeders & Hatcheries' started by CityGirlintheCountry, Dec 21, 2007.

1. CityGirlintheCountry

CityGirlintheCountry Green Eggs and Hamlet

Jul 7, 2007
    Middle TN
    This spring I will be adding Amerucanas, Wyandottes, Barnevelders and maybe Buff Orpingtons to my world. Before ordering them from a large hatchery, I thought I'd see if anyone knew of a hatchery in the greater middle Tennessee area. I can also get to the north Alabama area pretty easily, as well as south Kentucky.

thanks!
    CG

2. CovenantCreek

CovenantCreek Chicks Rule!

Oct 19, 2007
    Franklin, TN
    I'm not aware of any down here in Middle TN, but you might want to call one of the co-ops to see if they know of anyone. The Franklin co-op used to sell chicks in the spring, but they didn't this year. However, I saw a list taped to the counter that appeared to have chicken breeds and who to call to call to get them.

I may have an EE roo in need of a new home. [​IMG] (have to find out what sex it is before I can place it, though)

Last edited: Dec 21, 2007
  3. dragonlili

dragonlili Chillin' With My Peeps

May 26, 2007
    N Middle TN
    I've looked, too and really haven't found any. The feed stores here appear to order from the big hatcheries then mark everything up. A lot of people with different breeds tend to mix them a bit. If you find any, please post.

4. i called the local co-op in Woodbury Tn,(middle tn) and they did not have any and did not know of anyone who did. they suggested i call the high school 4 h and see if they had any, They didn't so I ordered mine from McMurray Hatcheries, but i had to order 25, I also ordered them sexed, since with my luck i would have probably gotten all roos, but i only lost one so I can recommend them if you have to order.I ordered RIR's and they are laying really good now. I sold 12 so now i have what i wanted to start with,[​IMG]

Mother to 12 RIR's, 1 pitt bull, 1 poodle mix1 yorkie, 1grey cat and babysitting 1 Great Dane.

5. CityGirlintheCountry

CityGirlintheCountry Green Eggs and Hamlet

Jul 7, 2007
    Middle TN
    Wow! Who knew there were so many locals on here!
    Good idea on the co-op. I'll have to check to see if they sell by breed and sex or just whatever you get.

A lady out of KY PMed me saying she would have Buff Orps and Amerucanas in the spring if I wanted to meet up with her. I'd be happy to pick some up for any interested when I got mine.

Still checking on the Wyandottes and Barnevelders. I'll keep you posted!
    CG

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by