1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

midget chicken

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by granny hatchet, Oct 21, 2013.

1. granny hatchet

granny hatchet Tastes like chicken Premium Member

Sep 26, 2013
    madison Indiana
    i have a dwarf chicken about a fourth the size of my small bantam it is healthy and alert a roo far as i can tell. it is about 5 months old, 4in. tall and 5-6 in. long. i did have crd in my flock which it is my understanding can cause dwarfism in the embryo. i have kept it with babies so far but they have all out grown him. i dont want to cull as i have become attached and he seems fine in every way except size. my question is, what to do with him? i put him in with the flock yesterday and he is unhappy. he wants to be back with his guinea buddies but they have outgrown him too. i forgot to mention that he was an experimental egg from the get go. the egg was very small and i wanted to see what would happen, well i did. i also helped the hatch a little. i am hoping the flock will accept him

2. granny hatchet

granny hatchet Tastes like chicken Premium Member

Sep 26, 2013
    madison Indiana
    the guinea mamas are trying to break the little one out of the chicken coop. never seen anything like it. makes me feel bad but because of its size it wouldnt last long. even my cat would probably think its a snack. thinking about it , its about the size of a blue jay

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by