midget white poults dying

smallfarmer

Hatching
10 Years
Feb 10, 2009
My husband hatched out 3 midget white poults this week and 2 died...we have hetched out other heritage breeds with much greater success...anyone who can help us figure this out? a friend mentioned they are more fragile...we have 4 adults and 2 that hatched out successfully from eggs about 3 months ago...do they need special feed?

I am far from an expert but the basics are a good high protein turkey/gamebird starter, keep them real warm in a brooder and dry. Protein best in the 26 to 30% range.

We raise 6 different varities and they are all the same. The Midgets are not more fragile then any of the others. I agree with 'longranger" keep them warm, dry, clean and feed high protein and lots of fresh water.
Good luck.
Sharon

The only other thing I'd add is to make sure they're actually eating and drinking. I always put a couple of 1 or 2 day old chicks in with the poults for the first few days. The poults follow the chicks around and "learn" to eat and drink.

Good luck with them!

Yes, agreed on the 26% gamebird starter --very important for the first 8-12 weeks.

Turkey poults are more fragile than chicks and must be kept warm and dry (and off dirt) like the others mentioned. I'm also very careful to keep all their water and feed and bedding very clean too.

Back
Top Bottom