1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Midget White Turkey

Discussion in 'Turkeys' started by PeachHillFarms, Oct 1, 2011.

1. PeachHillFarms

PeachHillFarms Out Of The Brooder

Oct 1, 2011
    Southwest Indiana
    I'm looking in too getting turkeys. Midget Whites to be exact! I don't know anything about them really! Are they aggresive?...Can you keep them with chickens and guineas?..etc

2. NancyP

NancyP Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2009
    Bonifay,Florida
    We have midget whites, they are a very nice breed. Ours free range with the chickens every day without problems and are excellent for the table.
    Nancy

3. PeachHillFarms

PeachHillFarms Out Of The Brooder

Oct 1, 2011
    Southwest Indiana
    I'm not looking in to eating them. How big are they compared to chickens? [​IMG]

4. NancyP

NancyP Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2009
    Bonifay,Florida
    The midgets are about twice the size of chickens. The toms get to about 15-20 pounds and the hens about 8-12 pounds.

5. FarmCoe

FarmCoe Flock Mistress

May 22, 2010
    Planet Earth
    I LOVE Midget Whites. They are a great breed of turkeys; not too big, not too small, gentle, and delicious. [​IMG] Not to mention they're beautiful. They follow us around and gobble on command. They'd eat out of my hand, but I think that would be a little painful [​IMG]

6. CarolinaChickenKeeper

CarolinaChickenKeeper Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 15, 2011
    Pauline, SC
    i have MW's. i'd say they are twice the size of my bantam silkies. they were also hatched by my silkie hen and think they are chickens. very funny now that they are much taller than their adopted mom. they are def NOT aggressive. never been bitten by one.

7. The Orange Ferret

The Orange Ferret New Egg

Nov 19, 2010
    I have 2 female Midget Whites(luck of the draw with straight runs [​IMG] ) and looking for a male or 2 for breeding. My turkey which we refer to as "The Precious!" follow us around when we are in the yard. They have the personalities of toddlers. They are very sweet & were handled a lot when chicks as were our chickens because, they are our pets & will never be food (we are vegetarians). They love being snuggled and being around people. I trained them not to peck at people and respond to the word "no". They can get jealous of the other's attention so I snuggle equally.

I went out of town for a week recently & one of my turkeys who imprinted/bonded strongly with me went into depression. When I came home she dropped to the ground & refused to walk & wanted me to carry her & hold her. She was so funny... What a drama queen!

I love them they are the sweetest turkeys. I am not sure if it is the breed or the handling they receive or both that makes them such a pleasure to own.

8. Frosty

Frosty Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2008
    ND
    Quote:Dropping to the ground can be a sign that they want to breed...

9. fblant

fblant New Egg

Jan 15, 2012
    I have 2 beautiful males and got a straight run of all males. I need a female. Want to trade?\

10. Smiles-N-Sunshine

Smiles-N-Sunshine Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 19, 2008
    Palominas, Arizona
    Our Midget Whites get along with the chickens, ducks, and guineas just fine. They aren't aggressive, but they peck at their food much harder than chickens, and seem to think human fingers are food sometimes. Especially the finger with the shiny ring on it. So, I have them eat out of a dish in my hand, not directly out of my hand.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by