Midget White Turkeys

LJBass

In the Brooder
Jul 17, 2017
Southwest Missouri
I've been looking for some midget white turkeys for a little while. Haven't found any local flocks. I did find them listed at 2 hatcheries for 12.00 with a minimum order of 20. I've never raised turkeys and don't feel the urge to throw 240.00 at chicks or poults hoping to keep them alive. Anyone know a source without a minimum or anybody on here have any eggs? Turkeys will be like my ducks and geese and lay seasonal correct?

Any help is appreciated.

Southwest Missouri, I still have 1 feed store to check on the way to work in Arkansas. I think all the feed stores here get chicks from Cackle... who don't carry the Midget White.
I try to update my profile for location if that's an option.

Found out today, Local feed store is having a chick day Saturday and Royal Palm Turkey poults. They look about the same size, probably going to give them a try, even if they don't have the temperament and meat the midget white does.

LJBass:
I have to get my midgets from hatcheries. Check in with me next Spring. I'm trying too keep 10 over winter for breeding. I'm near STL.

Found out today, Local feed store is having a chick day Saturday and Royal Palm Turkey poults. They look about the same size, probably going to give them a try, even if they don't have the temperament and meat the midget white does.

MW are supposed to have friendly temperaments, but I've yet to meet a friendly one. I've also never known a breeder who prioritizes temperament over conformation, provided the birds aren't human aggressive. Very few MW breeders out there, but that's kind of expected when it's a new breed on the turkey scene and industrial turkeys are easier to acquire. MW are miniature heritage BBW, basically (made by crossing Royal Palms with BBW). My MW tom has had very poor fertility, even when paired with smaller hens. He just doesn't seem to be able to mate well.

I've known more Palm breeders. Palms are the only "ornamental" variety. They're known for being small boned, tall, flying well, laying far more eggs than other breeds, and even outperforming wild turkeys in the great outdoors. Many are very friendly when socialized as poults. I've heard the flavor is excellent, especially if you like dark meat over light meat. If you're used to looking at BB turkeys, RP will look more like flamingos than turkeys.

Back
Top Bottom