midnight dog bathing

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by muddyhorse, Nov 22, 2010.

1. muddyhorse

muddyhorse Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 11, 2009
    Bloomsdale, MO
    My Weim Jake has seizures about every 3 weeks in the middle of the night. he usually looses bladder control when this happens. do you have a favorite waterless or spray on dog shampoo ? after a seizure he is too unstable for about an hour to go down stairs to the shower (slick wooden stairs) he is 100 lbs and I can't carry him. In the summer I can take him outside for a quick spray down but that is not a winter option. any Ideas ?
    her he is with the pack
    [​IMG]

2. thebritt

thebritt Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 5, 2009
    Humboldt County
    There's a wash for incontinent humans I've used when my old dog (with long fur) was incontinent towards the end of his life. I can't think of the name, but it has a baby powder-like smell to it, and doesn't need to be rinsed off right away, if at all. It's commonly used in elder care facilities when immediate bathing is not possible. One brand is "Periwash", but that's not the one I'm trying to think of...
    Good luck. I know what you're going through - we have a seizure dog, too [​IMG] .

3. zazouse

zazouse Overrun With Chickens

Sep 7, 2009
    Southeast texas
    Ya know i just happen to see something at walmart in the pet section ,it was called waterless dog bath, didn't look real close but ya might check and see if your walmart has something like this.
    Sorry about your baby, hope this helps.

4. welsummerchicks

welsummerchicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2010
    In a similar situation we used some baby wipes.

Can you check into medications to prevent your dog's seizures? I seem to remember some sort of seizure disorder occuring in Weims, I think it responds well to medications. The dog should be seen by a vet as there can be an underlying (treatable) cause to seizures.

5. HorseFeatherz NV

HorseFeatherz NV Eggink Chickens

Can he wear a belly band during the night or does he thrash too much during his seizure? (know some thrash and some are quiet)

6. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
  7. muddyhorse

muddyhorse Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 11, 2009
    Bloomsdale, MO
    Jake is on seizure meds. He also has narrowing between his L4-L5-L6 he has lost some felling in his feet and can't walk on slick floors so he had to retire from therapy work [​IMG]

I have used paul mitchels foaming water less shampoo, I was just looking for some other suggestions.

8. BlacksheepCardigans

BlacksheepCardigans Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 11, 2010
    Southeast NH
    Poor sweetie. Thanks for taking such good care of him.

I like either Plush Puppy or Chris Christensen; both are show-dog shampoos so they're designed for daily use and are gentle (weak, honestly, but that's what you need).

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by