MIdnight Majesty Marans- age of lay and egg color?

aart

Chicken Juggler!
Premium Feather Member
8 Years
Nov 27, 2012
SW Michigan
My Coop
My Coop
Where did you get these birds?
Saw a similar label on some chicks at TSC a couple weeks ago.
Sounds like the latest 'designer breed'...or just a catchy name for a subpar SOP Marans.

Marans can be 'tardy' to lay(average onset of lay for most breeds is 18-28 weeks)....time of year is not in your favor, unless you're using supplemental lighting, they may not lay until after the solstice when day length begin to increase again.

Angileen

Songster
Oct 5, 2019
Minnesota, USA
I have 4, 1 cockerel and 3 pullets. They are 4 months old right now. From what I have been able to find in my searches I believe they are a sex link cross between a Black Copper Marans Rooster and a Cuckoo Marans Hen. From my experience they are fast growing and large size birds. My cockerel started crowing at 3 1/2 months old and is chasing around the ladies at 4 months old, although he hasn't figured out how to catch one yet! They also get along well with my other breeds in my mixed flock. Here are a few pictures.
MMM Hen 4 Months.jpg
MMM Rooster at 4 months old.jpg
MMM Hen 4 Months2.jpg

saghareggs

In the Brooder
Apr 23, 2020
I have 4, 1 cockerel and 3 pullets. They are 4 months old right now. From what I have been able to find in my searches I believe they are a sex link cross between a Black Copper Marans Rooster and a Cuckoo Marans Hen. From my experience they are fast growing and large size birds. My cockerel started crowing at 3 1/2 months old and is chasing around the ladies at 4 months old, although he hasn't figured out how to catch one yet! They also get along well with my other breeds in my mixed flock. Here are a few pictures. View attachment 1926979 View attachment 1926980 View attachment 1926981
Hello! How dark are their eggs? Thanks!

Angileen

Songster
Oct 5, 2019
Minnesota, USA
Hello! How dark are their eggs? Thanks!
Here is a photo, the darker one is a Midnight Majesty Marans compared to some other eggs in my coop. This is about the average color once in a while I will get one a little bit darker. They are one of the largest eggs I get. My Calico princess will lay eggs about the same size sometimes larger.

Attachments

• IMG_0241.jpg
    IMG_0241.jpg
    921.3 KB · Views: 375

Cinderblock

Chirping
Mar 7, 2020
I have 4, 1 cockerel and 3 pullets. They are 4 months old right now. From what I have been able to find in my searches I believe they are a sex link cross between a Black Copper Marans Rooster and a Cuckoo Marans Hen. From my experience they are fast growing and large size birds. My cockerel started crowing at 3 1/2 months old and is chasing around the ladies at 4 months old, although he hasn't figured out how to catch one yet! They also get along well with my other breeds in my mixed flock. Here are a few pictures. View attachment 1926979 View attachment 1926980 View attachment 1926981
I’m bummed that I only bought one and it turned out to be a cockerel. He has one feather in one leg. Unfortunately, I can’t keep roosters, so I will have to rehome him. Yours is so pretty. Just curious, what is his crowing frequency and volume? I’m secretly hoping he can fly under the radar and I can keep him. No one ever wants roosters around here.

Top Bottom