Midnight murders

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by Kay Crowe, Nov 15, 2015.

1. Kay Crowe

Kay Crowe Out Of The Brooder

Apr 3, 2013
    Northern Virginia
    Long, long story short, I found three birds this morning. One was only scattered feathers and a small section of vertebrae. Two were decapitated.
    What do you think I'm setting traps for? What, in Virginia, would slip a gap in a chain link fence (we have a 3' bird netting extension on the upper fence) and be big enough to devour a 4-5lb bird and would rip off heads for fun? Would a weasel be able to get out of a larger sized cage?
    I've been looking up local laws regarding trapping fox, racoon, possum and the like in town limits. Our options are limited to a trap and a barrel of water. It stinks, but I'd prefer it to a massacre of the other thirteen girls.
    Thanks.

2. junebuggena

junebuggena Chicken Obsessed

Apr 17, 2015
    Long Beach, WA
    I'm betting it was a raccoon. They are known to tear chickens to pieces, and can fit through seemingly impossibly small gaps. If you can fit a few fingers through a gap, a raccoon will be able to get their whole arm in.

3. hayley3

hayley3 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 16, 2007
    Southern Indiana
    I read once that a raccoon can eat a huge amount of food each night so I agree, raccoon.

4. gregaai

gregaai Out Of The Brooder

Sep 16, 2014
    Powhatan, VA
    What part of VA are you in?

5. dekel18042

dekel18042 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2013
    Pennsylvania
    I don't think a weasel would eat that much, My money is on a raccoon.

6. Kay Crowe

Kay Crowe Out Of The Brooder

Apr 3, 2013
    Northern Virginia
    That's what I was thinking too. I've seen evidence of racoons in the yard before, handprints in the water dish and on one of my maple sap collection jugs last winter. I only asked about weasels because a friend of mine a few miles from here is having trouble with them and suggested it.
    The hunt is on.

Long live the memory of Dumpling, my brave, intelligent, crowing rooster-hen. (Pictured left, kicking the crap out of my dog)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by