Midnight Questions

Discussion in 'Peafowl' started by AugeredIn, Nov 13, 2011.

1. So, is there any way to distinguish birds split to midnight? Are there giveaways in the hens?

The bird below was sold as a blackshoulder split to midnight but is certainly darker in the neck than normal blues. The train is more blue looking.
    [​IMG]

2. Choctaw Valley Farm

Choctaw Valley Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 16, 2010
    Oklahoma
    I have a Blackshoulder Male split Midnight he looks just like a Blackshoulder now the hens you can not tell them apart Midnight B/S and Blue Blackshoulder look the same.

3. Thats what I thought, this guy just must be slightly darker than normal. The picture does not show the difference well.

4. Choctaw Valley Farm

Jan 16, 2010
    Oklahoma
  5. Resolution

Resolution Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:This bird is a product of hybridization with green peafowl (note glossy and iridescent greater marginal coverts, elongated crest and slight scaling in neck).
    It's beautiful whatever it's mutation pedigree may be.

6. Now thats interesting! I never considered that possibility.

7. bandbaustin

bandbaustin Chillin' With My Peeps

May 21, 2009
    Valparaiso, IN
    I would say not a midnight, just looks like a dark blackshoulder. My midnight is a completely different shade of blue

8. Choctaw Valley Farm

Jan 16, 2010
    Oklahoma
    Quote:I don't think this bird has been bred to a green looks just like mine but I'm no expert and really don't won't to be. I have just bred and raised lots of Peafowl so I would say the scaling look on the neck is just how he's holding it. But I could be wrong, is his neck smooth?

9. deerman

deerman Rest in Peace 1949-2012

Aug 24, 2008
    Southern Ohio
    Quote:I don't think this bird has been bred to a green looks just like mine but I'm no expert and really don't won't to be. I have just bred and raised lots of Peafowl so I would say the scaling look on the neck is just how he's holding it. But I could be wrong, is his neck smooth?

I don't see any signs that its a spalding.

10. Looking at him more closely I see no scaling close up. I think he is just a little different color blackshoulder. We will see what his kids look like in spring!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by