Midnight Snack on a String

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Enchanted Sunrise Farms, Dec 30, 2008.

1. Enchanted Sunrise Farms

Enchanted Sunrise Farms Overrun With Chickens

Apr 26, 2007
    Fair Oaks, California
    i was at the feed store today and had a poultry magazine in my stack of purchases. A man came over and asked where i found it. It was the last one so i told him he could buy it if he wanted. He said no thank you, but said he was looking at it as it appeared to have an article on predators and he needed some information.

We talked a bit and i asked if his chickens were free range or penned, and he said free range. He said he used to tie them up by their legs with string at night so they wouldn't get away. But when he would come out in the morning, they would all be gone. [​IMG] So now he just lets them run all over his land. i suggested a secure coop, but he didn't seem interested. i would think that would be easier than tying up a bunch of chicken legs every night.

i'm just glad he gave up on the string idea.

2. sussexgal

sussexgal Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:Not my idea of a good time, either. There was a thread on here about the poultry that used to be used for sparing being tied like that..... perhaps those were the types of birds he had.

3. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    Gamebirds will NEVER get along docilely like our fat and sassy chickens. For serious breeders and show reeders of gamebirds the leg tie-outs are standard and a must have. There is nothing cruel or wrong with tying them out. The purpose of the owner is most commonly the issue. Those with nefarious motives have given the equiment and gamebird management a bad reputation. Don't buy into the propaganda that any one who does this is into a cruel sport.

As this topic is approching the borderline let me remind us all -

2. No PETA or Cock fighting posts, period!​

4. Enchanted Sunrise Farms

Apr 26, 2007
    Fair Oaks, California
    Ooooooooh, sorry sussexgal and MissPrissy, it never once occurred to me that he could have had gamebirds. i know absolutely nothing about them. i just always assume people are somewhat like me. i was visualizing my poor BO and EE and Red Stars, and then my pretty little silkies, all tied by their leg with a piece of string and left outside all night, flopping around. Seemed ridiculous.

i didn't plan on starting this thread to enter forbidden territory. Just wanted to relay a silly thing i heard. But thank you both for the information. i've learned something new today.

5. rainbowgardens

rainbowgardens Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 19, 2008
    Central Virginia
    Airheart,
    I had to laugh about this post. I was picturing the same thing. I never imagined anyone would want chickens other than for the meat, eggs or companionship.
    I have enough trouble remembering to get out and shut the coop door. Imagine having to tie them all up every night!

6. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    You are right.

If we weren't all crazy. We'd go insane.

7. Enchanted Sunrise Farms

Apr 26, 2007
    Fair Oaks, California
    Well, even if they are aggressive-type birds, it doesn't make sense to me to leave them tied up all night. i don't care how tough a bird is, it will not win against a raccoon, especially if its tethered to one spot. And the thing that made me think this man had just regular chickens is that he said that now he just lets them roam free all over his property. If they were aggressive birds, wouldn't they be knocking each other off?

i think perhaps the man was just not very informed. i should have given him that magazine as a gift. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by