midnite black shoulders (pics)

Discussion in 'Peafowl' started by bandbaustin, Oct 20, 2009.

1. bandbaustin

bandbaustin Chillin' With My Peeps

May 21, 2009
    Valparaiso, IN
    Moved my midnight black shoulders into their new outside area today after two weeks. Need to finish their inside runs and cut the hole. They are a pair and I put an older white hen in with them as my male India blue was picking on her and pulling all her feathers out. They also have a male red golden pheasant born this year in with them cause he was extra and we were not sure what to do with him. Here are a couple of pics I took with my phone today. The outside is 24 long by 10 wide and 8 feet tall.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Kev

Kev Overrun With Chickens

Jan 13, 2008
    Sun City, California
    Nice. [​IMG] I can't see, but if there's no wire along ground around the outside bottom.. would be a good idea to lay down wire to stop diggers..

3. bandbaustin

bandbaustin Chillin' With My Peeps

May 21, 2009
    Valparaiso, IN
    There is a cattle fence skirt laying on the ground all the way around sticking out about two feet. We also put chicken wire around the bottom to discourage little hands/paws from reaching in. Plan on running a hot wire in the future also.

4. farmgal2

farmgal2 Out Of The Brooder

Sep 8, 2009
    western new york
    I like your pens. In new york we get so much rain the run off from that barn would be bad. Not sure how much rain you get. I have to put mine on the run off side of their coop also, but its only a 6 foot roof side. I am in the process of figuring how to build my pens now that the coop is done. The problem with my western ny area is the snow load gets way to heavy and always caves in the pen tops. So I think I will try to make removable tops.

Thank you for sharing your wonderful designs.

5. Kev

Kev Overrun With Chickens

Jan 13, 2008
    Sun City, California
    Excellent!

A friend gave me a male Midnight chick this year. Can't wait for him to grow up.. have yet to see a Midnight in person(besides from this young chick).

6. peachick

peachick Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 8, 2007
    Maryland 21787
    Congrats on the birds [​IMG])

My only comment on the pen is they need a better roost. The parrot perch in there Just wont be enough. Peafowl like to get off the ground and roost.... especially at night. during the day they sit on it and look around, and during bad weather... they don't normally go indoors... but they huddle together on their roost. I use saw horses to make my roosts.... bury the feet in the ground so it doesn't tip over when they jump off.

7. Hoosiermomma

Hoosiermomma Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 6, 2009
    S.E Ind
    Nice pen! Are you planning on putting some sort of roof on it? We currently have a tarp on ours but are going to be replacing it with the wavy fiberglass type roof. If your weather has been anything like ours, it's been all rain, cold and windy. What a mess!!!!! As far as the roosts, we just cut a few small trees down @ 4" diameter (to thin out the trees to give other trees more light and yes we will plant two more for every one taken down. [​IMG] ) and anchored them in the ground to make a few T posts. They seem to love it! Can't wait to see pics of yours when they are full grown. I have two IB/BS peachicks here now that are about 5 mos old. [​IMG] Have fun and enjoy them!

Last edited: Oct 24, 2009
  8. deerman

deerman Rest in Peace 1949-2012

Aug 24, 2008
    Southern Ohio
    Know you are planning on cutting a hole for their inside pen. On the roost, round roost are bad here in the northern winters. Best are 2X4 layed flat, so the peafowl can set on their toes. Frostbite if not, see some of northern peafowl with part of toes missing.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by