Might be a stupid question but...

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Bnemeth, Aug 2, 2011.

1. Bnemeth

Bnemeth Out Of The Brooder

Apr 30, 2011
    Do you wash your ducks before a show? If so, do you have to wait a certain amount of time for their oil to build back up before they can go in the water? Thanks [​IMG]

2. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    Most people I know that show ducks take them to the show in a rubbermaid container with air holes cut out near the top, the lid on and about half filled with water.

3. scratch'n'peck

scratch'n'peck Overrun With Chickens

Oct 31, 2008
    West Michigan
    My Coop
    I don't show my ducks, but I would probably only wash them with warm water and maybe just a few drops of baby shampoo under the tail. That way you won't wash off the natural oils much.

4. ChickenHeaven

ChickenHeaven New Egg

Aug 2, 2011
    I dont know about ducks because i do chickens but i do know for chickens you have to wait around 1or so days hope i helped![​IMG]

5. SunnyCalifornia

SunnyCalifornia Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 8, 2010
    Escondido CA
    Quote:I was told 3 days to re-oil for chickens. So I washed my birds Monday for a show on Thursday, I'm sure I'll have to re-do their feet tomorrow. I would think that ducks would be similar as far as re-oiling themselves. The water containers mentioned probably help keep them clean in transport.

I'll tell you though, that after the show, my birds CAN'T WAIT to roll in the dirt!! I don't think they like being clean. [​IMG]

They just don't know how pretty they look.....

6. fowlman01

fowlman01 Overrun With Chickens

Sep 2, 2010
    Sonoma County CA
    Ducks will clean themselves. Put them in the shower or a bathtub for about 15 minutes with just enough water to splash around in. Don't use any kind of soap.

Walt

7. greenegglover

greenegglover Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 14, 2009
    Indiana
    I know the 4-H requires birds to be washed in Dawn dish soap, just check with event holder to find out rules and requirements!

8. fowlman01

fowlman01 Overrun With Chickens

Sep 2, 2010
    Sonoma County CA
    Quote:There is no such requirement here in CA. 4H just wants to see a clean bird, but it is not a good idea to wash ducks or any other kind of waterfowl. I have shown waterfowl for over 40 years with a great deal of success and have never washed a duck with soap. I wash some chickens (white ones) with soap, but washing ducks removes the oil from the feathers and they can't go back to a pond until that is replaced in a few weeks.

Walt

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by