Might be adopting a pony

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by Chick_a_dee, Dec 2, 2008.

1. Chick_a_dee

Chick_a_dee Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2008
    Peterborough, ON
    We might be adopting a 7 year old standardbred pony with one eye, however I took a look at the questionaire tonight for him, and I'm very concerned about a few things.

Do you understand that ownership is considered after a 2 year adoption, but not guaranteed with ponies due to children outgrowing them etc:

That was one of the questions, and what bothers me is that we would be financially responsible for the pony, but there is a good possibility that in 2 years they could come back and say, oh too bad, we're taking him back now. When we buy or adopt a horse or pony, we're in it for the long run and having that looming over us would definitely affect the level at which we could connect and get emotionally involved in his training.

Thoughts?

2. Chickerdoodle13

Chickerdoodle13 The truth is out there...

Mar 5, 2007
    Phoenix, AZ
    Many years ago my family looked into adopting a standardbred from a rescue. They told us the same exact thing and it definitely turned us off. We would have considered giving a long time home to one of these horses in need, but the fact that we would not technically own the animal scared us. They also mentioned that they could show up at any time to check on the horse and if they felt we were not doing things right, they could take it back.

Personally, if I want to be responsible for a horse, I want to own it. My family takes very good care of our animals and I don't need some outsider to constantly check up on me! To me this was a total invasion of privacy. Another thing that scared me is the fact that everyone has their own way of doing things...and that doesn't necessarily mean just because you do something differently you are doing it WRONG. Unfortunately in the horse world people seem to believe their way is the only way. This rescue was no different.

Anyways, long story short, we ended up purchasing an awesome palomino from a local seller for about $1500. We still have him and he is about 25 years old now. He will stay at our home for as long as he lives and I like to think he has a pretty good life!

All in all, it's a personal choice whether or not you wish to deal with that. Personally, i don't agree with that adoption policy at all. I would feel the same as you...that I could not become attached for fear that they would come take the animal away! What you might want to do first is call up the rescue and ask about that specific policy before making a concrete decision. They may be able to give you more information.

3. Chick_a_dee

May 23, 2008
    Peterborough, ON
    Quote:We decided not to go through with it after receiving a rather rude email from the woman, in which she spoke down to us a lot. We have NEVER encountered an adoption contract like this in all the years we've adopted horses, dogs, cats, etc. We've dealt with a different rescue in the past, called Heaven Can Wait, and they have never required a contract like this of us, and they're huge these days.

Another thing that bothered me was that she wanted, even after the 2 years, to be notified of any sale of him, and given the new owners contact information. Well no, I'm sorry but that is not information she is entitled to since we'd be the official owners of him.

We decided to keep looking, I'm not interested in dealing with unreasonable and rude horse people.

4. skirbo

skirbo Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2008
    Walton County, NW FL
    I think I know who you are talking about and if so, you are better off having steered very, very clear.

If you want to adopt a Standardbred, I've always heard good things about the official breed rescue and also New Vocations.

Sarah

5. Florida chick

Florida chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 19, 2008
    Equine adoption is for the saftey and well being of the horse. I think the adoption rules are strict in some situations, but if it saves 1 horse from another abusive situation so be it! No rescue is going to search you out to take a well taken animal back! All rescues are overflowing with little donations coming in. I do see your side, but try to see the other side as well.

6. Chick_a_dee

May 23, 2008
    Peterborough, ON
    Quote:I don't think so, we're in Canada, but either way she ended up being very rude about it.

7. Chick_a_dee

May 23, 2008
    Peterborough, ON
    Quote:Oh I know, we actively adopted horses form another rescue called Heaven Can Wait, and they had a contract, but you were given full ownership when the animal was placed with you, and they offered fostering as well. What this woman is doing is more like fostering masquerading as adoption.

8. Bec

Bec THE Delaware Blue Hen

I would be afraid of the heartbreak if they did decide to come get it after 2 years. We have a one way in policy here...lol.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by