1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Might be BLUE JAYS pecking the eggs, NOT GUILTY CHICKENS.

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by joyofsynergy, Aug 29, 2014.

1. joyofsynergy

joyofsynergy New Egg

Nov 26, 2009
    In July, we started having at least one egg pecked open every day and sometimes it had been entirely eaten! I read all of the posts, was already feeding choice protein food like fried trout and leftover meat, tried golf balls, etc.

When we installed a new security system, we put a camera in the hen house. A young blue jay way was caught yellow-beaked!

The next time we say him fly in, I quickly snuck over and shut the door on him, then my husband dispatched him with a 22 with birdshot loads. Perfect. The shell didn't even tear up the coop wall.

But wait, after that was another jay and another jay. Turned out there were at least 4 teenaged jay brothers working our henhouse. We trapped and shot each of then. Problem solved. And no guilty chickens.

1 person likes this.
  2. lightchick

lightchick Overrun With Chickens

Apr 3, 2014
    Minnesota
    So glad you got the problem fixed before the chickens caught on!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by